We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re: wizard cards

Australia
Level Contributor
210 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
re: wizard cards

I have been reading about the pros and cons about taking money to Phuket, and somebody suggested the wizard card, could you explain a bit more about this?

Slan

Ceadmill

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re: wizard cards

We have been using a wizard card for years and it is the best thing since sliced bread...in my opinion. Free to obtain,free to use, no exchange rate fees etc... blah blah blah

I have some more details on the card here... www.bobandjanette.com/money.html which will save me repeating myself.

Gotta wonder why all Aussies don't use this facility for overseas travel. We have our other cards which we use for points etc, and a Gold Card through another bank which gives us free travel insurance, but Wizard is great for obtaining money overseas.

Cheers

Bob

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re: wizard cards

Yes, heaps of info here if you do a search and see the website.

I got the Wizard card because of recom. here & we deposited $2000 in by BPay before we left so that it acted as a debit card. I sort of kept track of our spending so I would know approx. when we used this money up, and would then go into credit card territory.

I've just downloaded my statement to find out the exchange rates.

We arrived am 11 Sept & I exchanged money at the airport at the rate of 28.3 bht. I then used the card next day & got 28.8 bht. I know the $ has been getting stronger but heh, that's pretty much the same for cash. Other rates I got were: 28.99, 29.3 (and this was an ATM which included the 150bht cost!)& 28.9.

We did mostly use cash, but I'm really impressed by the card. Like all bank products you have to know it limitations but you can work around them.

Got a similarly good rate in SIN.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re: wizard cards

Sorry, website is:

www.wizardclearadvantage.com.au/index.html

I applied online & it took about a minute.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: re: wizard cards

Gotta love the Wizard !

It's simply a Mastercard with no fees, that allows you to deposit money into your Mastercard account so it is in credit, and withdraw it as you would with any ATM card. The trick is to always have a positive balance.

I think from when I put in my online application to when I got my card was about 3 days. Absolutely no fees, for anything, if you deposit money into it before you go, or just use it as a credit card and pay before it's due. No fee for joining, no annual or ongoing fees, no withdrawal or deposit fees, no currency conversion fee, nothing ! And you can deposit online into it very easily from your own bank account.

You do get stung with the 150 baht per withdrawal fee in Phuket, but I checked my rates when I got home and I was still ahead compared to the cash rate on the day, i.e. I got enough of a better rate with the card over what was on the street to cover the 150 baht, so it made it just like changing cash. Just withdraw larger amounts, less often.

It's mentioned here if you deposit money in and get it scammed somehow you are not covered for that money. I couldn't care in the slightest as 1- I'm careful and only use it to withdraw cash, and only at ATM's next to money exchangers or in shopping centres next to banks (lots of these type ATM's in Phuket) and 2- Phuket is safer than my home town of Melbourne where ATM scammers are rife. Don't think about it, just get one !

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re: wizard cards

The Wizard card is a credit card,so why top it up with your own cash and use it as a debit card when you can get a Visa Debit linked to your Bank Account from any bank and use it as a Visa Card worldwide with fraud protection,i definately wouldn't feel safe overseas using a card with my own funds that's not covered by fraud protection.

My bank charges $2 per International transaction,i'll pay that for the peace of mind that my funds are protected against cyber crime gangs.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: re: wizard cards

"My bank charges $2 per International transaction"

Care to mention which bank????

I would imagine there are a few more fees involved.

eg the NAB Debit linked Visa Card has.....

An annual card fee, none with Wizard

$4 per overseas withdrawl, none with Wizard

Foreign currency transaction fee or 2%, none with Wizard

Exchange rate applied by Wizard has always been at market rate

Disclaimer: I have no association with Wizard other than being a very happy user.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: re: wizard cards

Bet that magical bank doesn't equal the brilliant exchange rates that Wizard offer.

There is no better card for overseas travel than the Wizard Mastercard. Great for booking your flights with AirAsia when the prices are quoted in foreign currency.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: re: wizard cards

I always use the Wizard mastercard when purchasing overseas - what you pay is what they charge - so you don't get hit with all the other fees on other c/cards.

They even telephoned 15 minutes after I purchased some overseas flights with an overseas carrier - just to make sure no-one had used my card.

I have been very happy with Wizard.

Cheers,

Sandy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: re: wizard cards

Agree with everyone...the Wizard Mastercard is te best card for Aussie travellers to use overseas.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: re: wizard cards

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their knowledge on this topic, I then read Bobnjanette's pages and can't believe how easy it was to get a card.

Applied on-line, took about 2 mins and had my card in my hot little hand within a week. I like the idea of not coming home to a lot of fees you hadn't factored in with other banks (been there done that in Vanuatu earlier this year) & didn't want to get caught again.

So a big thank you to all that contributed here :)