We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

Ipswich
Level Contributor
31 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

I know this is an impossible question, but can anyone let me know what the cost of food and drink is like in those places.

Also I will be staying in a villa in the south of Phuket, are there English style supermarkets there? I know there are Tescos in other Asian countries, but not sure of Thailand, and not sure of their project lnes

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

Yes there are lots of Tescos, and you'll find some familiar items, but a lot of what they stock is, for obvious reasons, produced locally and aimed at the local market. Villa is also another good supermarket you would like. 7-11 are everywhere and carry things like bread, crisps, etc.

Firstly, you'll find food very cheap in the markets, and even in supermarkets (unless its imported). Bangkok is a lot cheaper than Phuket overall. What a prices is depends on where you buy it, and what it is. Its bit like asking What does food cost in England.I bought imported strawberries this morning at 89 baht. An outrageous price when I can eat a meal at a street stall for 30-40 baht. That same meal in an air conditioned restaurant could be 100-500 baht depending on how fancy the place is.

Eating local food will be a fraction of the cost of eating "international" food, or buying imported foods.

Whisky is very cheap by UK standards, but I think beer is around 40 baht a big bottle in a supermarket, and anywhere from 65-250 baht a standard bottle depending on the type of pub or bar you're in.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
31 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

thanks for that....I have be wondering if we could put together some sort of xmas meal for the family while we are out there? Might end up with turkey satay?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

You could get a passable Christmas meal at one of the hotels or western owned restaurants, depending on where you are on that day. Villa supermarket will sell turkey but in limited stocks. Its otherwise not seen in Thailand very much. Also, remember that Christmas is not a holiday here, just another working day. Anther supermarket to look at is Tops, but the bigger branches only, and Central department store food halls.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

Most of the english style pubs do Chrissie buffet dinner such as Molly Malones ect. I'd think you could always do smth like this if turkey/trimmings is what you are after.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
31 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

thanks all, licking my lips already!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

Hi there,

If you are adventurous and like Thai food as said you can eat for between 30 & 50 Baht per meal. If eating in Restaurants in Phuket the average for Thai meals is around 100 Baht for main meals and around 30 Baht for rice or noodles. Western style meals on average start from around 250 baht per meal upwards. If you go to Seafood restaurants on beach road expect to be ripped off and pay more that Aus but there are cheaper alternatives.

Many large supermarkets in Phuket with prices much cheaper than Aus by as much as half the cost.

Are you from Ipswich here in Aus or Ipswich UK?

Cheers, Pete.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
31 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

Hi pete,

sitting in Ipswich UK which is about as wet as you could get. Sounds like it should be a great place to go, looking forward to some warmth!

8. Re: meals and snacks in BKK and Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 06:20