We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble in phuket

kent , enland
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble in phuket

Hi all, going to Thailand next year to Phuket, watched programme on tv ,Trouble In Thailand, i know things can happen where ever you go, but is it as bad as they portray it, fights pick pocketing etc,

me and the wife are going, want to see and do as much as we can, ,

and have a good holiday , any advice etc

thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,277 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble in phuket

Trouble with Trouble in Thailand is it is over-hyped and over sensationalised and focuses on the worst of the worst (which is what you will find in any major tourist destination. You have posted on the Phuket forum which presumably means you are thinking of Phuket as a destination. Other than watching this very unrepresenatative TV "documentary" have you done any research about Phuket and the various resort areas to see which match your expectations? The only feature in BTIT so far relating to Phuket was on jet skis in Patong, which although is an acknowledged poroblerm, this episode has largely been discredited as being contrived.

So do not base your decision to go to ANYWHERE in Thailand on that programme. Post back with what type of holiday you want - quiet, relaxinng, hectic nught life or justy great places to eat and drink - then I am sure you will receive some good advice.

Chester U.K.
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble in phuket

+1 to what Arandora said.

I have been twice to Pattaya, and Once to Patong, where most of what i have seen of this TV garbage was filmed.

From my own experience, i believe the show is most definately overhypeing what you are seeing. Yes, you will see disagreements between Thais and "Farangs". Usually when the "Farangs" have been drinking.

Take on board, that all of Phuket is not Patong. There are a lot of beautiful, peaceful places to visit, and a lot of very helpful, friendly

Thai people out there, as indeed in all of Thailand.

Patong (and Pattaya) are like Blackpool in England.

Pick the right place to stay and enjoy your holiday.

Stay Happy, John

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,277 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble in phuket

Hey John,

I thought you was on my side! I live only 3 miles from Blackpool. It's nowt like Patong! Yes, we have drunken louts, Yes, there are alwayss fights, Yes we have Funny Girls..... Oh, go on then, it's just like Patong! LOL

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble in phuket

Just keep your wits about you, be sensible, look out for one another and you will be fine, I have only been to Patong twice but I have never felt unsafe or had any trouble. Well apart from once when I had a bit of an argument with a English man about cricket.......

I have noticed that Thai people often wear their back packs on the front to avoid anyone stealing.

I also try and only carry smaller notes around and not pull them all out at once when purchasing something so no one knows how much cash I have on me.

As you said trouble can find you anywhere in the world, just practice the same caution you would if you were home and I think you will find the doco got it wrong.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble in phuket

My advice is don't believe anything on television except the football scores - and then don't believe that if they say your team lost.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble in phuket

Hi

We took our 83yr old mother/ in law with us on our trip in aug we nerver felt un safe for the 2weeks we were there ,you just need to be aware where you are .

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble in phuket

That's all very well mosiewigs but not everybody has a 83yr old mother/ in law to protect them.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trouble in phuket

Don't rent a jet ski as many hotels recommend that you should not

and don't get to drunk on Bangla road where the ladyboys are!

and don't do drugs

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trouble in phuket

I would also recommend not to rent a jet ski.

But, with the new insurance scheme, I am very curious what is going to happen.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trouble in phuket

Reddwarf - I love reading these forums just to see what you write next. You have a typical Aussie dry sense of humour and I love it!!!