We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

Please help, this is our 1st trip O/S and have chosen Phuket. Trip advisor has become my bible and i consult it on a weekly basis, love the forum for info. Where is the best place to stay a little away from the crowds but shopping accessible, have been looking at Merlin Beach resort. We would like 4+ accomodation has anyone any other recommendations.

1. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 05:56
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

Merlin Beach Resort is a nice hotel but you cannot really walk anywhere from there so you are up for a tuk-tuk every time you want to go anywhere.

I would be more inclined to pick Karon or Kata as a location with the ability to still access the shops at Patong or Phuket City.

australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

Have to agree with Red Dwarf Karon or Kata. We stopped Kata Palms in 2008 with our 30yr old son and we all found it to be in a great position for beach,shopping,resturants. We only went into Patong twice once in the day and once at night that was enough for us. The Kata Beach or the Katathani in Kata Noi are both right on the beach. Katathani has a few resurants and shops right outside or a tuk tuk over hill into Kata there is a wide choice of both. Hope this helps Beryl

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,872 posts
1,771 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

I too would consider Karon or Kata.

Karon is a bit more livelier.

devon
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

hi we are staying at the southern fried rice, kata rd karon, phuket, its claen very friendly, a lot cheaper than a 4 star hotel but a great all rounder, and if you have not booked anything yet you may struggle to find decent acc! we use the money we save to spend on other goodies! hope you enjoy your holiday, we will be in phuket for two weeks around christmas and new year till we decide where to go next, steve and paula

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

I am a Duangjitt fan, but it's not for everyone. I don't like crowds, but do like beautiful, spacious grounds and gigantic pools. Maybe that's just me, as Duangjitt doesn't rate in these forums (does ok in the hotel reviews). I consider Duangjitt a 4* stay if you are in a suite.

Three caveats: only stay there if you plan to stay in one of the better rooms. People don't seem to be too happy with the standard rooms (though they looked "ok" to me);

the breakfasts aren't great. They are not bad, just not as good as other places we stayed at;

it's not a place with a great poolside atmosphere(in low season anyway). I put this down to how spread out the pool is, and to a general lack of rowdy Australians in the vicinity. Not always a bad thing... If you need any advice on type of rooms or which room number, just ask.

Best advice I can give you is to split your stay. First timers, I'd suggest Kata Beach and Patong Beach. At Kata Beach, we enjoyed our stay in a deluxe room at Kata Beach resort.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

Try the Novotel Hotel at Patong Beach. This is a beatiful hotel built on the side of a hill at the far end of Patong Beach. The accommodation is great, the accommodation and hospitality are 1st class.

There is a hotel vehicle which ferries you up and down the hill. There is also a free vehicle which takes you to the Jung Ceylon shopping Centre in the middle of Patong beach.

I have just come back from my second stay at this Hotel and my wife and I love it.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

Try the Novotel Hotel at Patong Beach. This is a beatiful hotel built on the side of a hill at the far end of Patong Beach. The accommodation is great, the accommodation and hospitality are 1st class.

There is a hotel vehicle which ferries you up and down the hill. There is also a free vehicle which takes you to the Jung Ceylon shopping Centre in the middle of Patong beach.

I have just come back from my second stay at this Hotel and my wife and I love it.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

Not Patong . Spent a few days earlier this week at Kat beach got a good rate at Kata Poolside but would suggest Sugar Palm Kata Beach or Kata Beach Resort. Would say Kata is a much older crowd lots to do at night and very diverse group of foreignors. Patong is for younger crowd too many go-go bars. Also found Kata Beach had far more reasonable prices for meals and massages without having to trek for miles

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40s+ 1st timers confused on where to stay

We are 40+ and have stayed at Patong, Karon & Kata and loved all of them. I'd suggest either the Marina Phuket which is at the south end of Karon Beach allowing access to both Karon & Kata. We also stayed at the Kata Palms in a pool access room which we really enjoyed, close to the south end of Kata, but there are plenty restaurants etc within walking distance. The Amari is at the south end of Patong beach and has great views and ability to get away from all the hustle and bustle of Patong. Not all of Patong is "girlie bars" that is mainly only on Bangla Rd. Both the north and south ends are quite peaceful. Another place in Karon you could look at would be the Moevenpick.

Lee