We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation!

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation!

Hi,

My partner and I will be in Phuket from the 22nd of March 2010 till the 28th of March. We are a young couple, looking to relax but we don't want to be too far away from the nightlife in case we want to check it out. We are roughly looking at spending $100 - $120AUD per night. Can anyone reccommend any good hotels?

The only place we have in mind at the moment is the Patong Merlin Hotel.

Also, after Phuket we are off to Koh Samui for 4 nights. From what we have heard Phuket can be pretty insane. Would it better to cut our trip in Phuket a little short and spend more days in Koh Samui? This will be our first time in Thailand so any advice or reccommendations would be great!

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation!

Hi, we stayed at the Patong Merlin and loved it. Great breakfast and great pools. Close walk to the nightclubs (took our kids and they had a ball). My son did not want to come home hahaha.

Patong merlin is about 7 or 8 mins walk to bangla road. We did not find it insane!! It was great. My daughter and boyfriend were in their early 20's and my son 18. They had a great time. They bused to Ko Samui for the full moon party and were going to go up to bangkok, but changed their plans and returned to patong.

We are actually going back in June and my son is taking 2 of his mates.

Thailand is great and I am sure you will love the place like most of us.

happy travels

cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation!

Oh fantastic! I'm so glad to hear good things about the Merlin. =]

My partner and I are actually going to the full moon party as well!

We are so excited to visit Thailand and it will be our first holiday in two years!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation!

You will be pleased with the merlin. We were there before the renovations but a look at TA they are just about finished. Breakfast is great, soooo much to choose from. There is even a egg man who does eggs whatever way you want! hahah I just loved the banana bread.

Hope you enjoy the full moon party.

I am sure you will love everything about thailand, the the thai people: FANTASTIC. And very very friendly.

cheers

Monaco
Level Contributor
119 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation!

hey! choose between holiday inn or millennium (for the action/shopping/nightlife you need to stay in patong), both are centrally located, the only main difference is that holiday inn is more geared towards families and little further from all the action, millennium is right in the center but far enough to relax at night.

www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/phuket.html

check out the website for guest comments and interesting deals

Koh Samui is a beautiful island, but very very different from phuket (plus, it depends were you will be staying - Chaweng is a cool place - try the centara hotel) ... a word of caution, the full moon party (located on the Koh Phangan island, 3O min boat ride from samui) is extremely over rated, the music is quite poor and the ambiance is not any better (you get the impression of being surrounded by psychologically disturbed horde)

overall, i believe phuket has more to offer than Samui

enjoy!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation!

we always stay at the holiday inn, as a couple and have a great time. you could also try the horizon beach resort next door.

if you are going over for the full moon party be warned you will have to plan for a minimum of 3 nts stay - that's what the resorts charge. and that koi samuii has different weather pattern to phuket.

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation!

Great! I will check out all those hotels.

In regards to the full moon party. We are staying n Koh Samu so we were just going to get a speed boat over and then when it finishes get a speed boat back to Koh Samui?

Hunter Valley nsw...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation!

The Banthai is central to everything .. Beach, Shops, Nightlife and very friendly

8. Re: Accommodation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:20