We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine

australia
1 post
Save Topic
Wine

I am a first time traveller to Thailand and would like advice about buying wine.

Perth
Level Contributor
578 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine

My advice would be to take it with you yes you can buy wine there in some restaurants but it is very expensive about $50 upwards a bottle and the thai rice wine is not verp pleasant at all good luck.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine

Cultivate a taste for chang beer - wine in Thailand is a ridiculous price.

Sunshine coast
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine

If u really dont like beer, shove a good ole 2 litre cask in your check in luggage, I know the cask wine isnt quite the same but it ties us over for a week or so and as the last post says wine is very expensive in Thailand.. plus u can pop it in a bag and take it out to most little thai eating places and they will bring u cups etc and they dont charge anything, works well for me as hubby is a beer drinker and i like a wine or 2 with dinner. Also I have been to some dining places where because of the price of wine it rarely gets used and after ordering a glass or bottle it was off, which tastes alot worse than a decent cask from Oz, have fun :)

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine

Where are you staying? Wine has a huge tax on it. A bottle of mediocre wine will be about 500 baht.

Carefour has a decent selection in patong.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine

We stayed at Movenpick andworked out to order our wine during happy hour at the bar. Half price!! Cant remember the name of it, but it was a little above cask quality, think it was spanish or italian. Was enough to tide us over each day, just having those couple of glasses.

BPX
England
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine

I would agree with Noi that Carefour is probably the best bet for wine. If you are intending to hire a car or bike you may want to try Big C or Lotus Tesco also. BP.

Perth
Level Contributor
578 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine

Yes but the wine is still awful from these places we took 2 x 2 litre casks of Yalumba Chardonnyin our suitcases, I know cask wine isan't the best but its much better than what they are selling in Phuket and the other post I must agree sometimes when you buy it its been sitting there that long its gone off and is like vinegar.

Monaco
Level Contributor
119 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine

I tend to disagree with some of our fellow contributors, as I have found fantastic wine @ wine connection at very reasonable prices, (check out their website, http://www.wineconnection.co.th/)

Carrefour wine shop in the Jungceylon shopping mall is also good (I tried some Chilean wine this weekend for 75OB. = 15 Euros, it was fantastic)

So don’t worry about finding quality wine, As there are plenty .. And I don’t believe switching to “Chang beer” is a viable solution

Enjoy your vacations!

Word of caution: the first time I came to Phuket, I got some very expensive wine with me, but I was “robbed” by the inhospitable customs personnel at the Bangkok airport. So I wouldn’t recommend brining wine with you.

melbourne
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine

Wine in general is terrible and expensive. As my thai mate says, "Its Schitty"

BPX
England
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine

Yes I agree about the Chilean wines, they are probably the best buy. I know that in the UK I can get a good Chilean wine for 4-5 pound and Carefour are probably doing it for as little as they can. As for the comment from our friend from Melbourne, it's an individual thing and wine is not for everybody agreed. You may be confusing Chilean wine with wine from Australia though. Give your Thai friend a bottle of Chilean wine the next time. BP.