We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers survived

Shepparton
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
first timers survived

just back from 10 days in Phuket. First trip overseas and what an eye opener.

Arrived Thursday night, not much to see and do. Straight to bed and up early for Mr Sam on Friday.

Mr Sam was a fun day, very informative. One thing for me anyway. Day trip was 1800bt for us both. He asked us if we wanted an Elephant trek and monkey show included. Ws said ok because it was on the 'to do',list. Price went from 1800bt for two to 2300 each. Anyway the trip was ok.

Disliked the elephant ride immensly, couldn't wait to get off the beast. I'm an animal lover, and so wanted to shove the spiked stick he carried in places that would make him move very fast. Its just me. I understand the pro's and cons but thats just me. Same with the monkeys, my wife laughed and enjoyed them, she would take them home if she could, i just saw the cruelty of it all. Chained and tethered in realy small cages.

Anyway the rest of island was glorious. Big Buddah, lighthouse, Temples, all were beautiful.

Saturday was the first taste of what was to become the baine of my trip. Shopping. My god what an experience. First tip for other first timers. Do ur homework. We shopped and thought we had done well, til i showed Vickie, (my wife), the prices on Garry and Cathy's website. Boy did she get hot. Will do a post for first time shoppers, so be on the look out.

DVD shopping was great, all sellers were realy honest about quality.We came home with around 100 or more. Tv boxed sets were best value. Make a list before u go. All were 50bt per disk, but i noticed on our last night all sellers had put them up to 60bt for the high season.still less than $2 aussie.

Sat night was BBQ night with Richard and Megumi. No need to go into it, there are plenty of posts on here. Would just say to people go and have a ball for little cost.

Will do the next posts over the next few days. I will get vic to do her shopping report asap.

We are no experts but if any first timers, like us have questions let us know.

Can i take this opportunity to thank all the regulars on here, Cathy and Garry, I think it is Richard with his Phuket guide, and Rex. Everybody helped, while none of u helped prepare me for the suit sellers and other sellers and Taxis, (that is just something u have to experience to believe). All the other info was invaluable and helped make our trip an experience.

Just one last note is there anywhere you can donate for all the stray dogs. My wife adopted two that were around where we stayed. Fed them everyday, brought dog food and other treats. We actually brought extra food at dinner for her to take home to them. She felt bad leaving them.

thx again

Duane

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers survived

Hi - I read your TR with great interest.

Being an animal lover myself I have the same feelings as you do. To donate for the street dogs check out:

www.soidog.org

phuket-animal-welfare.com

Both of these organisations do fantastic jobs for the animals.

Regards

Chantal.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers survived

While its nice to think about animal welfare, perhaps orphans, the blind and disabled might be a first consideration?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,389 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers survived

Lovely JBR, nice read.

Agree with your views on the elephants, monkeys and dogs!!

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers survived

Don't beat yourself up about not negotiating the "best" price. It's happened to us all. You were happy when you bought and you'll have more of an idea about prices next time you're in Thailand. Also remember that Cathy and Gary have had a few more years to practise their bargaining skills.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers survived

Thanks for the nice report! :-)

If you love animals, folks, then don't sit on their backs or pay to see them do tricks. This abuse continues becasue there is a demand for it, simple as that.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers survived

I am quite sure Dragonc that people who support animal welfare also support other charities as well. Lets not presume too much.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers survived

Glad you enjoyed Phuket Screwloose.

I look forward to your reports on future trips as I know this won't be your last.

You will actiually have more fun next time as you know what to expect and will be even more prepared for the shopping expertise.

Happy & safe travels

Bob and Janette

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers survived

Hi Duane,

Sounds like you and Vicki had a great time, its always nice to hear a 1st timers views on Phuket as all of us were once 1st timers as well.

Many people have mixed views on there 1st visit so its pleasing to hear you liked Phuket like many others do on this forum.

Looking forward to the next part!!!

Cheers,

Pete.

Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers survived

a bit different to shepp ,its the experences that last forever ,back again??? im from ky

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timers survived

Great to read your report screwloose. We are off in January for our 1st trip & cannot wait. As a matter of interest why did you dislike the elephant ride so much?? Great to read the temples etc are worth a visit.

Can't wait to read your wife's shopping report..........

I just realised I posted after someone from Ky, how funny I am down the road at Echuca.........must be something in the water around here that we're all heading Thailand way!!