We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata or Karon

China
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kata or Karon

Hi there

I am going alone to Phuket next week and i am still not sure where to stay.

Karon or Kata?

There are differences between the two?

Regards

Hugo

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
182 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata or Karon

I would recommend Kata over Karon. The beach in Karon did not seem as nice and was bordered by a busy road.

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata or Karon

I agree Kata has everything Karon has but is a bit smaller and the beach is lined by a road with trees and shade. Kata has bars, live music, great restaurants, banks and the same junk souvenirs plus plenty of hotels in all ranges. It is smaller so nearly everything is walking distance too.

I have lived in Kata and Kata Noi for 8 years and think it is the best!

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata or Karon

I'd recommend Karon Beach to you. We have stayed there twice and believe it is a lot nicer than both Kata and Patong. Kata is more compact hence it always appeared a lot busier and more crowded than Karon to us.

As per Kata_noi's response - Karon also has lots of nice restaurants, bars, etc. The Karon Night Markets - held in the Temple grounds are not to be missed. For restaurants we highly recommend 'The Red Onion'; Karon Seafood, Ging and also a little restuarant down from Red Onion (heading towards the beach) it has no name but is next to a place called Bamboo Chemist (I think). As for a bar - try the 'Bar with no name' and 'Kenny's' - many others but they are my favourite. If you're looking for accomodation I highly recommend the Old Phuket Hotel - we have just returned from our second stay there and the accommodation; service; etc is all second to none. Have a look at the pool access rooms - this wing only opened in Dec last year. There are many restaurants only a minute from the hotel; massage places; minimart; tour agents, etc. It's also only a short stroll to the Karon markets (the ones opposite the beach).

Good luck on making your decision and I'm sure you'll be happy regardless. Enjoy :)

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
seafood @ karon
seafood @ karon
22 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
China
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata or Karon

Thanks for the help.

I ve been in Kata and i enjoyed a lot.

I stayed in Beach Boutique and i recommend it

Hugo

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata or Karon

So you have previously stayed in Kata and enjoyed it; well Karon is only a couple of hundred yards down the road. I guess for you it is decision time - the devil you know or a hundred yards down the road to the devil you don't know; live dangerously, give Karon a go.

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
6. Re: Kata or Karon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2010, 05:15