We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket vs Nha Trang

Chicago
11 posts
Save Topic
Phuket vs Nha Trang

My husband and I are planning on being in Vietnam and Thailand on Feb 2010. Just wanted to see if anyone has been to either or both places and could recommend which location we should stay longer at and which one would be the most budget friendly. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

Hi There,

Have not been to Nha Trang, but a few places in Vietnam - Nha Trang is just a city - and most people only stay there a few days.They do have a beach & trips to go on.Many people skip Nha Trang when doing a trip to Vietnam.

Have been to Phuket 5 times - lots of areas to stay & budget places everywhere. You will find lots to do where ever you stay in Phuket - definitely spend more time in Phuket.

Cheers,

Sandy

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
458 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

I have stayed in both places many times. Nha Trang is considerably cheaper than Patong to stay although it does not have the "buzz" that Patong has. Nha Trang is a similar size to Patong (Phuket) and has as many attractions and things to do. It really is a "toss up" but having said that I would say that Vietnam offers you more cultureally than Thailand as it has not yet been tottally spoilt by tourism.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

Thailand has not been totally spoiled by tourism - try visiting Nakon Si Thamarrat's deserted beaches, or those a Prachuabkirikhan, or the provinces or Phrae, Uttradit, Petchabun, Chaiphum, and dozens more, and areas of Bangkok even that never see a foreign tourist. Phuket and Samui are being destroyed by tourism, but they don't represent the real Thailand, just a tiny part of it.

In Vietnam, plenty of places are been over run by tourists, including Hanoi and Halong Bay which don't have the infrastructure in place to cope.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

We weren't overly fussed about Nha Trang but return to the Phuket region often. Nha Trang is one beach location, whereas Phuket is an island with many beaches, some very touristy with plenty of nightlife, other less hectic and scenic.

Surrounding Phuket you have several other very nice destinations, some would argue better than Phuket. Khao Lak, Phi Phi island, Krabi and Koh Lanta are all only 2hrs +/- from Phuket and are beautiful.

We have some pics, maps and stories of our trips to Nha Trang and the Phuket region on the link below that may assist.

www.bobandjanette.com

Happy & safe travels

Bob

Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

Hi dep,

The question is a toughie for me. Budget wise, nha trang hands down! For entertainment I would have to go for phuket.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

Khao Lak and especially Laem Pakarang will offer you great accommodation, fantastic snorkeling and scuba diving in world class national marine parks. Unspoilt Khao Sok National Park and wonderful local genuine people.

Budget prices are easy especially this year and you can easily stay in a beautiful detached bungalow for only 500 THB per night.

PM me for the website details.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

When you are in Vietnam are you going to Hoi An? I haven't been to Nha Trang, so I can't give any input. Hoi An was lovely. Although quite touristy it wasn't too bad-not as "in your face" as Phuket. Hoi An has beach and culture. I absolutely adored it.

8. Re: Phuket vs Nha Trang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 05:18