We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Thought I would share our first and last trip with Air Asia X with everyone. They are a budget airline that we will never use again.

We arrrived at the Gold Coast at 6.30 am for the moring flight to KL, we live 11/2 hours from the airport, so it was an early start. The flight finally left at 17:30 that afternoon. The excuse was rain but 9 other flights managed to land and take off in that time. We were told that Air Asia does not acutally lease a spot at the airport and they have to wait until other airlines have a vacant spot(not sure how true this is) We we given 2 $10 food vouchers but as there is only 1 shop you can use them at, the wait was about 2 hours to buy anything.The communication from Air Asia X was very poor at the airport and we were not updated. The staff and passengers actually cheered and clapped when the plane landed at the airport.

I am 6"4 so I could only just fit in the seats, as they are smaller and norrower that most airlines.These seats do not recline and only slide forward, which is useless when your legs already hit the seat in front. The prepaid meals are really average.(probably sat waiting to be loaded that whole time were waiting to board)

Being so late to leave, we missed our flight to Phuket, so we lost one nights accommodation, which was a prepaid deal. We arrived at KL around 12am that night, and Air Asia told us they had transfered us to a flight in the morning at 7am. On collecting our luggage, we found it had been sitting on the GC tarmac for the whole time we were waiting for the flight and all our clothes were soaking wet.

They informed us they would give us a hotel room for the night.This ended up being a 2 star hotel in the middle of nowhere, nothing open for food and 3 people in two single beds and no hot water. By the time we got to the hotel and checked in we were able to get 2 hours sleep before we were woken to go to the airport.

On arrival at the checkin, we where told our tickets were standby and we would have to wait until a seats were available, all flights were fully booked and being xmas this could be any time/ day until the seats were avialable. Air Asia X is a sister company to Air Asia and they take no responsiblity for connections as they are a point to point carrier.

In the end we got on the 7 am flight, if you are not there 45min before closing, they close checkin and give the seats to standby. We had to sprint to get to the gate as you still had to go though security etc. This internal flight was good once we got going. (someone had checked in and not boarded the plane and their luggage had to be remove off they plane)

All in all our trip to Phuket took around 31hours !

Being xmas time, limited availability, limited time to travel, and large amounts of people travelling we have to give some concessions but the service was really poor for what you would expect from an airline that operates our of australia. It was a good learning curve, worth a try and we willing never fly with them again.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Sounds nearly as bad as being on a Qantas flight to or from LA.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Won't happen now JetStar have an alliance with AA

Seriously though, sorry to hear of your horror story. Personally we have 30+ flights with AA up and are happy with what we pay for our flights.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

My sympathies. However, on a budget airline based in Asia, you get exactly what you pay for when it comes to seating and customer service. Cheap airlines are fine for short haul, but no fun at all for long haul..

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Gosh, that is terrible. We flew with them once from GC in April 09 and I was not happy that the chairs didn't recline, especially as you're on the plane for a decent length of time.

We're flying with them again in a few weeks. I'm really hoping the seats recline this time, but not holding my breath. We only paid $100 for these flights to KL.

On the way home we are flying with V Australia. It was less than $400 and I want a comfortable ride home at the end of a long trek around Thailand. I think I will keep a close eye on V's specials, as I've heard they are the best way to get to Thailand from Oz.

Edited: 06 January 2010, 08:50
Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

AA are going to change the seating arrangements on the Longhaul flight from Oz to KL and they will then recline. Not sure that it will happen in time for your next flight...maybe for our June flights.

Info on seating config was from seatback info on our last flight ... Nov09

Perth
Level Contributor
578 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Sounds like a nightmare trip we are flying Perth To Phuket with Virgin in Aug so hoping this will be ok the flight times were a big player departing at 10am direct to Phuket and coming home Phuket to Perth leaving Phuket at 2.45pm direct home also, have flown with Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines both excellent but tthe virgin flights came in $2000 cheaper for the 4 of us so thought we would try it.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

you certainly had a disappointing start to your holiday. i have flown with air asia on a number of occasions including cool to KL. our flights have generally been good considering it is a budget airline.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

It wasn't on December 29th was it.Our Sunshine Coast daily reported a problem with Air asia x that day-

sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/…

Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Wow, what a nightmare trip. Looking at the newspaper article, feel sorry for the guy who tried to disembark. Looked at travelling to gold coast and flying air asia in may but got a good fare from jetstar out of sydney instead.

Glad I did now!

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Horror Air Asia trip to Phuket

Thank heavens all of these types of problems only occur with AirAsia and certainly never with "premium" carriers.