We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

I've got one week booked in the Phuket area and then Im considering spending 2 nights in Bangkok and maybe 2 nights in Chiang Mai.

I'll be doing tours with groups near everyday except for renting a car once in a while.

What say you? Safe? Unsafe?

Simba Sea Trips
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Chai travel and Day Tour in Phuket
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Phuket Best Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

From a personal safety point of view, apply common sense to maximise your personal safety in what is already a safe and accommodating country.

Renting a car carries it's own pros and cons.

Check out these two pages, see if there's anything you didn't already know;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c121951/Thail…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-s206/Bangkok:…

Edited: 06 February 2010, 03:12
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

hi there,

im headin to phuket on the 11th of march by myself as well what dates are you going over???

if your wondering about safety in phuket,its quite a safe place only if you stay were the tourist are")

if your going in march im looking for people to have catch up with and have a drink or two.i went over last October by myself and had a ball.

i don't know about renting a car as australian travel insurance is quite tight in asia and wont cover certain things eg;motor bike accidents.Might be different in Canada

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

i'll be in phuket, krabi (day trip), chiang mai (3 days) and bangkok (2 days).

im wondering if girls get harassed and followed.

i wont be dressed in a way thats revealing or necessarily attractive to the eye

*btw not going in march :)

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

As a female I have never once felt unsafe in all my travels. Its a great place to travel as a female.. you will be fine!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

hi there,

if it is anyone that should hassle you it would be farangs not thai,

thai people are very nice just dont go out of the tourist places by yourself but as i said you should have the time of your life have a safe trip:)

p.s if you are still concerned just tell people you have family leaving over in Thailand....

good luck

dont get into tuk tuks at night by yourself

newcastle
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

hi, i also travelled alone in phuket for 3 weeks over xmas, I had a ball and met great ppl, tried not to get to drunk!!! have a great time, ive just booked my flights to do it all again!!! x

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

Just don't go and do things that you wouldn't do at home if you want to stay safe.

Don't go on the beach alone at night.

Don't go down dark alley ways.

Don't go with strange men or women for that matter.

Don't leave your drink unattended.

Don't tell people you are in the country alone.

Don't accept unsolicited help.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

Thanks everyone.

If you're female and have travelled alone in Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok, and Krabi, please let me know what your experience was like.

Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

Like the positivitey Reet but to say you will be fine is not the best advice. More than a few females from the West have met horrible experiences in recent years in Thailand. Best to say you SHOULD be fine if taking the normal precautions - Thailand is not safe for females from other countries even if taking into consideration the risks vis a vis anywhere else. I know -I have met a few victims in Bangkok.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Female in her late 20s travelling alone in Thailand?

"Thailand is not safe for females from other countries even if taking into consideration the risks vis a vis anywhere else." - bangkokgas Destination Expert Koh Samui.

Well there's a newsflash you don't come across everyday.