We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing money in Thailand?

uk
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
changing money in Thailand?

Hi there,

I have a few thousand US$ in cash and was wondering whether it made sense to take the cash and change it up as and when in Thailand or to change it here in UK into baht before I go??

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing money in Thailand?

Don't buy Baht before you go as you will get a poor rate.Wait until you arrive in Bangkok.

It's a lot of cash to carry around,especially if the place you stay at doesn't have great security.

The other ways you could do it are convert the cash to Travellers Cheques or bank the cash and use ATM'S which are everywhere in Thailand.If you use the ATM's,take 2 cards in case you lose one.

Osaka
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: changing money in Thailand?

Changing money is generally no problem in Thailand, especially someplace as touristy as Phuket, so no need to change it in the UK before you go. Even if banks are closed, hotels or even some shops will change it for you (at a slightly lesser rate, though!)

I would be careful about carrying thousands of US$ in cash, though. I have been to Thailand 15 times with no problems, but that kind of cash would be tempting for anyone, so I wouldn`t flash it about. In fact, I would convert all but $1000 or so into travellers checks just in case they were lost or stolen.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: changing money in Thailand?

Don't change it in the UK! the rate is a joke, U will get at least 6 baht more to the £ in Thailand than in England, this is my experience from sterling.Anyway up to U,$1=40 BAht at this time.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: changing money in Thailand?

Keep your money in your bank. Bring about a US$1000 - but use your ATM to access the rest.

More info:

http://phuketdelight.com/money_exchange.htm

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changing money in Thailand?

I must admit that every time we come to Phuket we bring a lot of cash as we have a boat here undergoing a refit. I carry it all on me and exchange several thousand at a time (as much of it is paid to contractors). Don't worry Ted, we don't have it for too long. : ) It may sound foolhardy, but we don't walk around Patong or other touristy places in the evenings which could be a problem. I find Phuket to be extremely safe - as opposed to other countries I have visited.