We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket weather in Aug / Sep.

Buenos Aires...
1 post
Save Topic
Phuket weather in Aug / Sep.

I'm planning our honeymoon and always wanted to go to Thailand beaches. It is a long trip to us since we live in Buenos Aires.. and from what i heard in Thailand during that season it rains a lot. So we thought about bali. But i am not sure balis beaches are like the ones in Phuket and around. What do you think?

Sydney
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket weather in Aug / Sep.

Hi, I myself was wondering that same Q's.... Fortunately we will be there in that time frame, Have you booked? What dates, maybe meet up for some drinks... Congrats on tieing the knot, preparations must be well under-way.

Robyn

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket weather in Aug / Sep.

I took this information from a travel site for Phuket and it sums it up pretty well.

Phuket has a tropical climate that is warm the whole year round averaging temperatures of around 29C. There are two distinct seasons with a few minor variations in-between.

Many people visit in the high season (November to March) because of pleasant temperatures, blue skies and low rainfall. As a result the island is quite busy and everything is a little more expensive. Hotels and tours can be quite crowded and the island is not quite so laid back.

Cooler temperatures and rain showers from late May until November (the monsoon season).

Visiting Phuket in the monsoon season has lots of advantages. Temperatures average a comfortable 29/30C and light warm winds make sightseeing tours very pleasant. During the monsoon season, it doesn't rain every day! The usual weather pattern is for short dramatic showers, with plenty of sunshine in between, June, July and August are particularly pleasant.

Try the following sites, they give up to date information on the weather and indicants the chance of rain on a percentage basis.

http://www.tmd.go.th/EN/province.php?id=75

Also check out the following site with info on seasons and what to expect.

http://www.phuket.com/island/weather.htm

Cheers, Pete.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket weather in Aug / Sep.

hi

In Phuket Aug/Sept is in the middle of the wet season (monsoonal) so hit and miss as to how much rain you get, we always go in low season usually May, June and Sept, (this year going Sept) and the weather has never stopped us doing stuff, even had some great island tours, it mostly rains overnight and occassional sometimes heavy downpours in the daytime too but usually clears up very quickly, still get a fair bit of sunshine inbetween showers too

Not all of Thailand is monsoonal though at that time of year, if you are looking for a place in Thailand with better weather you would be best in Koh Samui or Hua Hin, its their high season so will be more expensive but it is your honeymoon, some great romantic resorts in Koh Samui too

IMO Thailand has nicer beaches than Bali

have a look at the FAQ'S on Thailand weather, right hand side column >>>

Congrats on your upcoming wedding all the best :)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket weather in Aug / Sep.

Congratulations :)

In August and September the weather on the Gulf side which includes Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan is much better than on the Adaman side ( eg Phuket, krabi, Khao Lak ).

The amount of rain and sea conditions is very different. August and september are busy times in the Koh Samui area for that reason whilst in Phuket area it is low season for same reason. Unfortunately in Sug / Sept sea sonditions around Phuket can make swimming a problem.

Weather of course varies but the difference is a lot.

e.g August / September mm per month

Phuket area : Aug :272 Sep: 417

Samui area: Aug: 105 Sep: 113

Hua Hin area: Aug: 95 Sep: 115

Edited: 23 May 2010, 08:57
5. Re: Phuket weather in Aug / Sep.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 07:54