We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting worried

melbourne
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting worried

Hi. Is it just me or is anyone else getting worried about the Australian Goverment changing their travel advice? We are flying out next Thursday. Only going to Phuket via K.L.

Janet

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting worried

Hi janet 27. We are due to fly to Phuket Tuesday night via Singapore and we are watching and waiting to see what the Government advises.

We also have an internal trip booked to Chiang Mia. Insurance coverage will probably be the deciding factor. We can hope things may take a turn for the better.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting worried

As long as your not going to Bangkok it shouldn't be an issue as there is no trouble in Phuket. The government have to err on the safe side. Relax & enjoy your holiday. Safer walking around in Patong than in Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting worried

G'day Janet,

Until the government issues a do not travel warning to Phuket I am still going and arrive next thursday morning via KL as well.

Also my travel insurance wont cover ammendments or cancellation till the government does issue such a warning.

As Bangkok is 900 kilometres away from Phuket I'm quite happy to go and enjoy my holiday.

To me its a bit like would you not travel Noosa because there was trouble in Sydney?

But its up to the individual to decide what to do ...if you are too nervous or worried then dont go because you will be stressing the whole time your there and wont enjoy yourself.

Cheers

Lozza

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting worried

We are flying direct from Melbourne to Phuket next Thursday, i am not concerned at this stage. I read the fine print of my travel insurance and i don't think it covers us if we are caught up in Political unrest or civil war so that is a risk there however not enough not to make me travel.

Enjoy your trip, i know we will!!

melbourne
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting worried

Thanks guys

Im not worried about travelling there. I just dont want to be told by the goverment dont go. So what happens if the goverment says dont go. Does that mean that you have no insurance? That is basically what im worried about.

Janet

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting worried

Hi Janet,

I'm with Lozza. We leave 2nd May and arrive in Kata 7th Via 5 days in KL.

It seems that issuing a DO NOT TRAVEL for a whole country is an over reaction considering as Lozza says Phuket is 900 ks away.Hopefully Australia Foreign Affairs show some common sense and leave their warnind as it is.

I will only cancell if the Insurance Co.cancell my Travel Insurance or something happens in Patong.

Cheers Rob

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting worried

hi Janet

you are not going into BKK and there is no trouble in Phuket which as already said is 900km's away, Governments have to issue warnings in these situations but its up to the individual as to wether they go or not, i wouldn't hesitate to go, we had all these warnings last year just prior to our trip and we still went and didn't even know anything about it when we were there, we have friends there now, they left Phuket a couple of days ago and staying in BKK at the moment with no worries at all, you are going via KL so all should be fine with that

just keep a check on it from their local papers (not ours) www.phuketgazette.com and also smart traveller website for warning levels in different areas

check with your own ins company on how it affects your ins this situation?

but as i understand it you are still covered as normal if you avoid the troubled areas ie: BKK

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting worried

British government overreacting too as they upgraded their travel warning yesterday to the whole of Thailand not just Bangkok.

If it's quiet in Phuket now it's going to get even quieter especially as other countries are likely to follow their lead :-(

"We advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand.

•In the early hours of 27 April, substantial numbers of troops deployed in Central Bangkok. The entire BTS Sky train service has been suspended in Bangkok causing major disruption. On 26/27 April there were at least 8 incidents in various parts of Thailand involving protestors setting up barricades, in some instances leading to clashes with the security forces. There is escalating tension and the risk of violence across the country...."

fco.gov.uk/en/…thailand

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting worried

Other countries too are doing the same...Ireland has. Think you will find Travel Insurance will be invalid. If it's invalid you should get your money back though as the insurance companies will have taken your money but will not be providing cover.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting worried

G'day Rex,

As our Government has not issused a Do Not Travel warning then most insurance providers in Australia will not allow us to ammend or cancel our Travel unless you are travelling to Bangkok, This will change once the Australian Government issues such a warningto not travel for the whole of Thailand

I feel sorry for people travelling from the UK as their government has issued a stronger warning and most are cancelling their trips even the ones

who were travelling to ther areas other than Bangkok.

Cheers

Lozza

ps insurance cover with some providers also depends on when you purchased the policy as some have put ammendments on their websites relating to this.