We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

Will be in Phuket for the day on 28/6. We want to get a driver with mini-bus (to fit 8) from the port into Patong.

Anyone know what my chances will be to get a mini-van with driver at the dock or should I pre arrange with one of the drivers on TA? Also, how much should it cost?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
330 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

We stopped at Phuket on Royal Caribbean in January 2008 and I am pretty sure we anchored at Patong.

The ship didn't dock, but anchored about 500 metres off-shore and passengers were taken in by tender.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

Hi Jen

Some of the cruise ships dock in Ao Makam and some in Patong. Best to check with your agent to find out where your cruise ship will be docking.

Regards

Chantal.

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

Thanks guys. I will find out from agent where it docks and go from there.

Chantal, where is Ao Makam and would it be easy to get transport from there to Patong?

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

Just checked and the ship drops anchor off Ao Makam. I have no idea where this is, so off to do some research.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

Ao Makam is about 30 minutes to Patong. It is in the South near the Phuket Aquarium and not to far from Phuket Town and not to close to much else.

I would definitely organize a drive a head of time or if you are going to do a tour

have the transport pick you up there. Read this article about tuk tuks waiting at the pier

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

The taxi drivers KNOW when a cruise ship will dock and will be there - not to worry!

You don't really need to arrange anything beforehand. My experience (with relatives on ships) is that the taxi drivers will want B5-600 to take you to Patong. Might be slightly more, not likely to be less.

You don't need to/shouldn't book any tours in advance.

They will be much less expensive if booked once on the island.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

Regarding the PhuketWan story. . .

Yes, there are problems with taxis and tuk tuks - but generally it is with people who have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on a cruise and then want to fight with a taxi driver over whether the fare to Patong should be B400 or B600.

Just me, but in my thinking if you are on vacation and want to relax, but pay the extra B200 (US$5 maybe?) and get yourself where you are going.

Tell me WHERE in the developed world you can go anywhere in a taxi for US$5? Certainly NOT where I come from. The taxi drivers are popular whipping boys - and sometimes they deserve it, but often it is just people niggling over a couple bucks that the taxi driver needs to send his child to school . . . Most are decent guys.

Wow! Those comments will really anger the anti-taxi crowd!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

I think we'll be on the same cruise,it leaves Freo on June 19,i'm not sure which day it'll be in Phuket but it looks to be around the 28th.We're trying to find some nice accom. in Perth and Freo,one night in each,so if you know of a nice place,let us know.We'll be heading into Patong and Nai Yang for the day trip,so we'll be hiring a van/driver.

This will be our first SE Asian cruise and can't wait.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

I think it will be more like 800 what. But often they raise their prices even higher. With the US Navy they were really trying to rip them off.

The point is that there is a normal price but they try to rip off the cruise passengers because there are no other options.

No one wants to be a chump. And no one wants to deal with unfriendly aggressive locals.

The tuk tuk drivers are hardly a starving bunch just trying to send their kids to school. If that was the case they would have a bit more initiative.

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do cruise ships dock and how much for a taxi to Patong

Thanks everyone. I think we'll just wing it and organise a driver when we arrive as we won't be doing a "tour" as such as we've seen a lot of the places of interest on previous visits. Still, can't wait to get back, even if it is just for one day.