We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Massage ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Massage ?

Hello TA friends,

I and my wife haven't had a massage before.

So we are thinking to do it while we are in Phuket.

It seems that there are 2 types of main massages

- Thai Massage

- Oil Massage

I heard Thai massage is painful. I was wondering which massage we (I and my wife) should do as we are scared of these painful massage :)

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Massage ?

YOu are correct.

Thai massage can be painful.

You can ask the masseuse to do the massage "not strong" or "bow bow" (Thai for gentle)

Oil is much more gentle but not the real Thai massage.

You should try the Thai massage IMO to experience the real thing.

Thai people like it really strong (my wife gives massage and sometimes people turn black and blue if they want it really strong)

But I don't. So, I ask for it not strong.

Qld
Level Contributor
252 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Massage ?

HI

We have just returned from Phuket. We enjoyed some form of massage every day, sometimes twice a day, what a luxury ! If you are new to it, I would start with the foot massage. Certainly ask for gentle. Even the foot massage ends with a back, neck and hand massage. In the low season you should be able to get it for around the 200 to 250 Bht.

The Thai massage without the oil is not very relaxing, but it is good for you, maybe I would work up to that one.

I would recomend highly to you the Sweet Lemongrass. It is located a little out of the way.

Oi ( Not correct spelling ) who owns the place keeps it pristine. She charges the same as the 100's that are along the streets. Her english is great so you can tell her what you need and to be gentle and she will understand. You can choose your favorite oil. You would enjoy the rejuvenation it is 90 min for 750 baht. it is gentle with oil and includes a facial treatment. If you are going in the low season ask her if she is still doing the 20%off. She also does an aromatherapy massage for 60 min for 350 bht or 90 min for 500.

Tip, always take the 90 minutes!

There are many spas in the hotels that offer wonderfull treatments,however the prices are more like what you may expect to pay here for a normal massage, not in the same beautiful surrounds.

The lady who owns this shop, Oi used to work in one of these, and has now opened up her own shop.

We were a family of 4 and her staff were all great and they looked after us for a few days.

All clean towels, cold water drinks on arrival and fresh lemongrass tea to end. We left feeling very pampered.

If you need to get there you could use Panya, he was the driver we found, on TA, thanks Di!.

It was on his recomendation we tried the sweet lemongrass, what a find. We are all going back again in April for another week of pampering !! If you have any questions you can always ask Panya and he will get the info for you from Oi ( He will have the correct spelling as well )

Sweet Lemongrass ph: 081 537 9099 Address: Na nai Soi 8

Drivier Paynya email:panyak2009@live.com

Have a wonderful time and enjoy all the pampering !!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Massage ?

Thai massage stretches your muscles and ligaments, then applies pressure to lossen those stiff muscles. It can be painful. For example move your head down towards your left shoulder (while looking forward). The right side of your neck is now stretched and feel tight. Press down with your fingers slowly along the right side of your neck. That is a rough idea of what Thai massage is going to feel like. They do this to your legs, arms..etc.

You may want to start with a foot massage. Then maybe a shoulder and neck massage. Another visit maybe a aromatic oil massage. When you feel you are ready then the thai one. They also have a thai massage that ends with a herbal ball (a ball of herbs wrapped in cloth) which they steam up and rub over your body. Very nice.

south australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Massage ?

www.body-mindspa.com this is a nice day spa place, and they have pick up service, nice 'Bael' tea and a plate of fresh fruits after the massage. There are cheaper ones but this place i enjoyed..

thai massage is good until she cracks the back (if it needs cracking then it will crack but this is not painful, if anything its a relief!) .. but if you can afford it do a thai massage followed by a aromatherapy massage! thats what i do when im in thailand! just relax and enjoy!!

5. Re: Recommended Massage ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 06:17