We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

I KNOW this has been asked before but thinking of flying from MEL to phuket with air asia ..have a fre questions....

1 has anyone flown this

2 do we need visa going via k/l as not direct connections

3 are they as a budget air;ine as i think??

4 travelling with 3 kids

5 just worried about connecting flights we are leaving 3 - 5 hours inbetween filghts.

any other comments

thanks heaps

Melbourne
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

We have flown with them 3 times with no problems. You do not need a visa for K/L. They have new planes and nice crew. You can order your meal on line when you book, you get a bottle of water with it. If you want any extra drink or food you buy it as you would Virgin or Tiger. Take into account when you land in K/L you will need to walk across the tarmac into the building, therefore you will be walking down the stairs from the flight, it will be the same boarding for the flight to Phuket, you will walk out to the plane and the up the stairs. We have had children on our flight and the kids and parents cope well with the walk and boarding. You can use the stroller right upto the boarding stairs and i believe i saw the strollers on the ground when we were getting off in KL. All our flights have been on time, so have always made our connections. Also remember they are a point to point airline, therefore in KL you will need to collect your baggage and go through customs and then check the bags in for Phuket. But thats why they offer very reasonable airfares. We have no problem with them and are going again in September.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

Hi Tracey, we have flown Air Asia now 8 times and love this airlines. No probs flying melb - kl- phuket. Just take sure you leave enought time between flights. Flight leaving 0040 am arrived in KL about 7 then you have a 5 hour wait for phuket. On the way home book the 8.15 leaving phuket to KL and it leave you 3 hours for the flight back to melb.

Every flight we have been on has been spot on. Leave on time and staff very nice. Food OK but you can put some in your back-pack and eat it on the plane.

You can hire an entertainment unit it you want.

No need for a visa for KL. Just get off the plane, go through immigration and then pick up your bags. Go back in line for your next flight. Very simple. the airport at KL is the LCCT. Easy to get around and not dawning at all.

We cannot fault Air Asia. Cheaper flights means more money to spend in Phuket yeah!!!

cheers

Viv

australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

thanks guys great feedback just a few more Q's what is seats like compared to say thai airways and what is the entertainment system like for the kids are there games on there or is it best they take their own?

thanks again tracey

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

Tracey, the seating is really good. Air Asia has just spent 10million upgrading their seats. A little narrower than Thai I would think, but they are now comfortable. We book the seats at the back which are 2 together then there is 3 in the middle and two on the other side. Probably good for a family of 5.

I would suggest prebooking your seats for the melb to kl and return. No need to prebook the phuket seats as they are all 3 seats together.

Entertainment unit is just OK. But I did not look at games. Quite a few people had there own DVD players. You can buy games, movies in Phuket for your return journey.

cheers

viv

australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

thanks Viv for the info has helped heaps

regards Tracey

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

Heres a link to Air Asia new "hot seats" info.

The hot seats have more leg room so are awesome if you have a night flight or if adults need some extra room to stretch their legs.

http://blog.airasia.com/index.php?s=hot+seats

We decided to book these seats on our return trip as its a night flight....

It is $50 to book one of these seats - the standard seats are $10 to book in advance.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

Also regarding baggage . If you aren't taking much luggage and intend to "shop" in Phuket, then book minimum baggage on the way over. For the 3 of us we only booked two 15 kg bags on the way over - we had a soft case inside a hard one for the return flight. We only took 1 change of clothes each and minimum toiletries. If your not sure how much to book for your return trip you can leave it until the day before your return flight. Then you can weigh what your bringing home and use the internet to book your return luggage.

Remember your 7kg carry on allowance and utilise that as well to keep your baggage costs down.

australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

Thanks Kiwiwine

how much difference is there between the two different types of seats?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

Hi tracey

we also book the exit door seats, one of the seats is near the window and door its $10, not sure about the middle seat, but the exit aisle seat is $40. You can also get the 3 seats across the bulkhead for more leg room, however not sure of the cost. Depends on how tall you are. I'm 5'11" so therefore i like the exit door seat, however if there have been spare seats i have moved to another row and had 3 seats to myself. Great for sleeping.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia - Melb to Phuket , via K/L

Be aware that the luggage allowance is different from Mel <-> KL and KL <-> HKT. Definitely pre-purchase excess baggage allowance if you are going to be over. And pack as much as you can into your hand luggage. Though with 3 kids to spread it over, you should be ok (presuming they get the same allowance). You can pre-purchase excess baggage online the night before you fly, at half price.

Also, check-in and print your boarding passes the day before heading out to Melbourne airport. You can pick your seats, and you go to a different queue at the airport, which was empty when we went. The other check-in queue was a mile long. Great idea if you have kids, and so easy to do.

If you have chipped passports, look out for the quick queue for these as well.

Edited: 12 July 2010, 12:30