We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

Sydney
7 posts
Save Topic
Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

Hi,

I am looking for some info about the trip I am planning in early Oct to Thailand. Its our first trip to Thailand and I am just starting up on my research.

Questions:

1) Which Island would you recommend going to if you take into account that we have 2 young kids (so want something very family friendly) and taking into account the wet weather in Oct.

2) depending on which Island you recommend, which hotel would you recommend: We want something very family friendly (preferably with a kids club and relaxed dining where they won't mind kids running around and babies dropping food on the floor) and also need either a 1 or 2 bedroom room or adjoining rooms. I have noticed once you are looking for adjoining rooms or suits, the prices at the nicer places (like Movenpoick) get very expensive and our budget is $150 Aust (4000THB) a night and we are looking to stay around 10 nights.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me your suggestions

(and yes, I know there are other posts which deal with weather, kids, hotels etc, but none hit all my questions on the head, which is why I am posting this)

Thanks

Naomi

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

It's a hard call not knowing what you're expectations are.

what Islands where you looking at? Phuket is on the mainland. But still ok for families. Other than that I would say Ko Samui.

Phuket will be coming into the dry. so mostly sunny days. which is what you want with kids.

I would look at family friendly resorts that offer value for money. I have found a couple that offer stay 8 pay 4 deals. Patong Merlin. Holiday Inn. Novotel Phuket. Graceland Resort. Hilton Acadia Karon Beach.

I would recommend any of these to you. I know for a fact that all of these resorts cater for families and have special family rooms at the Holiday INN.the others would have 2 doubles and you could get a crib.

I have chosen these resorts purely of my knowledge of them and location. As a mum you don't want to be wasting your day getting to and from places with small children. the Holiday Inn and Patong Merlin are the closest to the shopping hub.

As you are going in the low season you should be able to get a great deal.

which airline are you looking at going on?

good luck with your planning. don't stress too much over it. let me know if you'd like anymore help.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 04:06
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

hi

(1) Phuket is actually a large island itself off the mainland and has many areas and resorts you could stay at, othe smaller islands to look at would be, Koh Samui, Phi Phi Island, Koh Lanta and Racha Island although more for relaxing and not so much shopping etc

just off Phuket on the mainland is Khao Lak, 1 hour or so (depending on which resort) from Phuket airport, more laid back and less touristy than Phuket but still has everything you need and 25 km of beautiful beaches www.khaolaklovers.com and www.knowphuket.com and www.phuket.com

(2)if you stay on Phuket and in Patong could recommend www.swisspalmbeach.com quiet north end but close enough to get to all the main shops etc do 2 bedroom appt's

www.palmyrapatongphuket.com have some lovely 2 bed suites in the new wing

and as mentioned, Holiday inn, Patong Merlin, Horizon and Graceland bigger resorts and all have family suites, and in Oct should get good deals on any of those within your budget

In Karon or Kata beach,, Kata Beach Resort, Thavorn Palm Beach, Horizon Beach all nice family resorts in those areas

Khao Lak, www.suwanpalm.com have some great family rooms/suites under your budget price, and right on beach not far from main centre for restaurants etc

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

As Mossy has pointed out Phuket is an island ( even if it's just a short bridge ) it's not on the mainland.

Choose destination first.

October is a very difficult month, however early October you should still look at the change from September as a guide also

Average monthly rainfall in mm :

Koh Samui : Sept = 113 mm Oct= 265 mm

Phuket: Sept = 417 mm Oct =350 mm

So early October far more likely to have better days on Koh Samui and surrounding area .

If you decide Phuket i would suggest being close to activities if case you get a bad patch of weather. Swiss Palm Beach is good value for families.

Airfares are likely to be cheaper for you from Sydney to Phuket

Edited: 19 July 2010, 11:48
Sydney
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

Thanks for the suggestions. I did realise I was vague on the location point, but that was because, every time I read different posts and websites I am torn between Phuket or the Gulf side (infact, just reading these posts you can see why I am torn as everyone has a different idea about whihch side will have better whether in Oct.

So I am just going to hedge my bets and when I find a hotel I love, I will just go with it and keep my fingers crossed re the weather.

If it helps, along with space we are looking for something that makes us feel like we are in Thailand (not Surfers Paradise) and we don't mind something a bit rustic, as long as there are other kids around to keep the 3 year old entertained.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

Phuket, as stated by others, is an island. The monsoon also does not end in October in Phuket but lasts until late November there, sometimes early December.

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

Hi samandnay

If you decide on Phuket as your island of choice, you could also consider staying at the Merlin Beach Resort. It is out of Patong on it's own beach...about a 5-10 minute tuk-tuk ride. They have large grounds, 3 pools, a kids club etc. etc....we stayed with our 3 sons and noticed that they hold a lot of activities around the pool to entertain the kiddies if that is what you are looking for...we were way to busy exploring the island to do much at the actual resort. I know they had good rates for 10 days back then. They have massage ladies on the beach and a nice restaurant up the hill. We stayed early Nov and had perfect weather and the tide was in for most of the day for the week. I mention this because this beach is tidal and when the tide goes out you are left with rocks and rockpools, which, IMO kids love exploring. We even had a long-tail boat pick us up and take us around to Freedom Beach, right off this beach. If you walk further along there are some great little restaurants and we found some rope swings hanging from trees over the beach.

7. Re: Island holiday for a family of 4 in Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 07:21