We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gracelands - what's with the bad rap?

sydney
Level Contributor
242 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Gracelands - what's with the bad rap?

Travelling to Phuket next week staying at gracelands. I have been following the reviews on this hotel for the last couple of months. I am open minded and have taken alot of the reviews with a grain of salt. I am trying to be positive, but I can't help but wonder which way I'm going to steer towards,either loving or hating this hotel. Oh well I'll just have to find out myself next week. I will keep you posted and let you know what our party of 6 thinks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gracelands - what's with the bad rap?

I wonder if those seemingly never ending renovations are still going on ?

There is nothing really wrong with Gracelands. It is a good hotel with some faults. It's a little bit further out from the action, but still walkable, and in a prime bit of beach area. It's not the Holiday Inn, but I think that's what people are expecting, hence some of their disappointment. That and many expect Western style servile and helpful attitudes from the Phuket hotel staff - don't ! As far as Phuket hotel staff are concerned, they are not there to be your servant, or even to help you. You are to be shown to your room and then you are meant to take care of yourselves ! Not the cleaners, or restaurant staff, they are good, but the rest have some sort of superiority complex. Sure, ask them questions, or chat, and they can be very friendly. Just don't ask them to do anything for you that involves work or effort ! You are just a moneyed annoyance. Once you understand that, you will have a much better time. I'm exaggerating a little... but they sure aren't like hotel staff back home. If you don't have an issue that needs taking care of, you won't even notice.

Mostly the pleasantness of your stay will be decided upon by your room. If you find your room unacceptable, politely request another. But don't do it just because you don't like the colour of the tiles ! And absolutely DO NOT get into a fight with the staff or be rude to them, or they will wipe you, and you'll get no help.

Party of 6 ? If you have booked those front rooms with the good view, you will love it there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gracelands - what's with the bad rap?

We love Gracelands, great location, best part of beach, great restaraunts close by, great bars close by beautiful grounds, quiet & just a 10min walk into Bangla Rd.

Gracelands does seem to get talked about alot & i think most of the bad reviews are directly related to the rooms given. Its important when booking to insist on Deluxe Garden/Pool VIEW Rooms because if you just get a Deluxe room you may well have a view of the carpark or a wall.

We found the service & staff excellent but then again we are pretty easy going & didn't expect much. There was no renovations in April when we were there. I also think alot of the bad reviews are from people who just expect to much.

Just relax, remember your on holidays, & have a great trip.

All the best

Rob

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gracelands - what's with the bad rap?

When Graceland opened it was opened as top luxury, and was a lot more expensive than it is now.

As Rob says watch for the room position.

I am surprised about comments about service from hotel staff though I admit to seeing more comments about this in Phuket and I wonder why (?)

I have no service issues pretty much wherever in the world I travel though I find service in Thailand and elsewhere in Asia and the Gulf certainly way much better than most places.

I believe you get back in life what you put in.

Appeciate that hotel staff are dealing with so many different nationalities, with different accents etc. It can be very difficult for them to understand.

My tip is put on that kindly smile, be pleasant and nice and considerate to all people irrespective of their position, and you will probably find yourself getting superb service, wherever.

If you have an issue with room or any other problem address that problem to whovever is in charge on duty and not to housekeeing staff, waiting staff, bell-hops etc as they have no authority or control over such matters, it is down to Management to sort out.

Thai people are very friendly, if people are not receiving kind, warm and couteous service there must be a reason for it.

Edited: 10 September 2010, 09:46
Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gracelands - what's with the bad rap?

So right Monica!!!!

I find the service in hotels everywhere in Sth East Asia far superior to the service here in Australia!

We have big smiles and are there to enjoy ourselves, and we do.

We have complained, nicely, about rooms, and have always had satisfaction.

One of the places we stayed at recently, the staff put together to buy us a going away present, if you treat everyone well, we find we are treated well!

5. Re: Gracelands - what's with the bad rap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 05:18