We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

Montreal
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

We can't decide between staying at the Kata Beach Resort and Spa 4* at Kata and the Hilton Arcadia 5*on the Karon Beach. We would love the 5* but scared that it might not be centralized and we will need taxis to get around. As for the Kata Beach Resort, looks better located with a nicer beach. Has anyone seen both hotels? your pros and cons would be appreciated.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

The Hilton is larger, more facilities ( but think about whether you in fact would use those - when looking at places to stay and seeing the facilities do think about whether you will in fact gain benefit from those extra things) and is across the road from the beach, so you go out of the large hotel and then cross the road and then walk onto the beach.

It is 'not' - 'on the beach' but across the road from the beach.

The Karon Beach Resort is 'on the beach'.

I know some people do not mind walking to the beach, it depends if you ( like me ) if staying at a beach resort / hotel in a beach area I want to be able to leave the room, wander through the grounds and step onto the beach, and then be able just to wander back to the pool or room, it depends how you feel about it.

For me if you are going to stay in a place to enjoy the beach, being right on the beach makes a big difference.

Edited: 14 September 2010, 21:01
NZ
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

My preference would be Kata Beach Resort. It is right on the beach and if you get a balcony room it can be sheer delight to sit and watch the sunset while sipping on a nice cold glass of whatever suits you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

The KBR is great and I prefer Kata beach to Karon BUT the pool at KBR is a bit of a let down compared to other hotels (like the Hilton). It's not tiny, but for the size and quality of the resort, it should be much bigger. But I'm a pool person, not a beach person.

There is a lot to be said for being right on the beach, even though it's only one wide road to cross at the Hilton, i.e. it only takes a minute to get to the sand.

The Hilton is still walking distance to shops and restaurants in Karon (for most people) ; even to Kata Beach is not that far. KBR has restaurants practically on it's doorstep. But if you stay at either, you still need transport to get to Patong, where you will want to do your shopping.

There is nothing wrong with Karon beach, it's just not as pretty as Kata as it stretches for so much further. Karon can be a little rougher some days too.

My advice, as always, is to split your stay between the two.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

From Kata Beach Resort you can walk out the front and be walking distance to:

convenience store, money exchange, atms, local Thai food (Kata Mamas and some just opposite KBR, , Great restaurants (Capanina, Mom Tri's Boathouse & Oasis) Diving Shops (Phuket Scuba Club--) Fun bars - Ska Bar, all the same type of shops as in Karon.

Boutique Shops, (Couture, Andaman Creations), one for swimwear too not sure of the name, little Coffee shops, Andaman Coffee, Black Canyon, Summer Coffee, Pizza , icecream..

Salons, Spa and massage places..

Hilton is beautiful but very big also.

Qld
Level Contributor
252 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

We stayed at the Hilton, enjoyed it alot, the breakfast was awsome, the pool was lovely. it is a huge resort, but never seemed busy. Really loved the fantastic Gym sauna and steam room, but your choice has to be based on what you value in your stay. From our room it was a good 5 min walk through the resort to the beach. Although we were there in low season and the beaches were all closed the whole time so the pool did become important to us. One word of warning, all the beds there seeem to be very hard, so in my searching that is one thing I will be looking for. I would just make sure where ever you go you do get sea views as it is awsome.Good Luck !

6. Re: Kata Beach Resort or Hilton Arcadia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 05:28