We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking School's

Perth
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cooking School's

I was just wondering which cooking school is better - Pum's or Patong Cooking School & if anyone knows the prices? Which one would be there better one to do & where are they located? Or are there any others which are also good?

Any help or advice is much appreciated =) thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking School's

Hi Kelstar,

I have been twice to Pums and found them to be very good but do a search on this site to give you more info on both.

Also check the following web sites.

pumthaifoodchain.com/patong/patong_cooking.h…

www.phuket.com/dining/index_cooking.htm

Cheers,

Pete.

australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking School's

We did Pum's Cooking Course in August and really enjoyed it. We were able to pick 4 recipes each to cook, which meant we could learn to cook dishes we were interested in. We also had a trip to the markets. The course was 4 hours and cost approx AU$90.

Perth
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking School's

Thanks so much for your help Petertravels & sintikaAustralia. I will have a look at the websites and suss them out. Someone previously mentioned about going to the markets and learning about what to buy so I would like to do which ever that one is, think it would be a great experience.

Thanks again!

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking School's

Hi - my partner and I did the full day (well...from about 10am until 4pm) at Pums earlier this year. We had a really enjoyable day and cooked five dishes each in two sessions broken up by a little 'theory' class with our teacher describing ingredients and preparation techniques as well as the local market tour. If you're already a proficient cook, you might find Pums classes a bit basic - or if you're like me and the kitchen is about as familiar as the moon, you'll get some good ideas and confidence out of it. Depending on your teacher, I'd also recommend that you ask lots of questions - I think the language barrier made our teacher a bit unsure of what to tell us, particularly during the market tour but once we started asking, we learnt a lot more. We've used Pums recipe books quite a lot since we came back and made some very delicious and simple meals as a result. I've also become a lot more confident in using some previously unfamilar ingredients to spice up our routine cooking. Wish I could find Thai shallots in Sydney though!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooking School's

Hi, my 8 y/o daughter and I did a one day (10-3) course with Phuket Thai Cooking School in August and we both loved it. The teachers were all so wonderful with my daughter and they loved having someone so young who was so interested in their cuisine.

There was some great theory as they cooked every meal - 5 in total - and then we would go to our cooking stations and make it ourselves. The school is right on the beach in the most beautiful location and everything was perfect!

Cost was around $100 including transfers and we booked it through our hotel. However others that booked direct with the school paid less - naturally - a lesson learned!!!! There are 6 different menus and choices of going to the market or not, depending on which day you book.

We have recreated all of these dishes at home as they give you laminated recipe cards and they are just as sensational in my kitchen as theirs, with one very happy husband!

The teachers spoke excellent English and injected great humour as well (even understood the Aussie humour!!)

Perth
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooking School's

Thanks everyone for your help & replies, we've had a look & going to book for Pum's Cooking School. Even Dad is interested in coming =O now that is a shock - but the catch is Mum then has to do the flying fox ;) haha!!

Only 6 sleeps to go now, so close!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooking School's

Hi Kelstar,

You wont regret it as Pum's school is very well run and the teachers are very nice and patient.

I did the 4 hour course that includes a trip to the market to show you the many ingredients available, you also get a free small cook book that has some basic Thai dishes in it.

Cheers, Pete.

8. Re: Cooking School's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 05:31