We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise for nice paintings in phuket

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
advise for nice paintings in phuket

Hi all, we are going to phuket in november and i would really love to buy some nice modern artwork there for the house.

A couple of queries though .. what cant I bring back into australia because of customs and anyone who knows the best places to look and buy artwork in phuket/patong would be awsome also are the prices reasonable?

thankyou for any advise.

melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advise for nice paintings in phuket

Paintings are no problem. Wood sculptures I seem to recall are ok if treated or varnished. Turtle, croc or snake products, and some other animal products are a no no. I have heard talk that you can't take religious images (eg Buddha's) out of Thailand, but I really don't think this is true. Maybe a 2000 y.o. buddha, but not the knock off. Importantly, declare everything, no matter how unlikely that it's a problem. They have a quick look and wave you through. See the declaration list:

daff.gov.au/aqis/…australianquarantine

Artwork galleries are around, you'll see them. We bought down the laneway where sabai sabai is.They whip them up in no time, but always tell them you are leaving a day or two before you actually are, and don't pay on the promise of them mailing it to you. Also, if you see one you like, buy it off the wall as the copy we had made was good, but the one on the wall was better. Ironically the one on the wall was one he did from memory because at the time he didn't have a picture to copy. Prices were ok compared to home, but not as cheap as I would have liked.

Edited: 11 October 2010, 12:49
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise for nice paintings in phuket

For some great local art I recommend the Rawai Art Village.. it was even mentioned in the NY Times!

http://theloveartstudio.com/

…nytimes.com/2010/03/21/travel/21hours.html

Also in Phuket Town is a whole street of studios..

on Phang Nga Road

and near buy is the studio of my favorite artist

Watcharin. He and his wife Jay-da do some amazing stuff and have had exhibits globally.

http://www.rindamagicalart.com/

For a good map of Phuket Town (so you can find the galleries)

www.artandcultureasia.com/…

and a good listing of art galleries

www.artandcultureasia.com/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advise for nice paintings in phuket

thankyou both so very much for your advise. I have looked at all the recommendations and appreciate it very much. I am new to this site and I love the fact people on here can help.

again thankyou

4. Re: advise for nice paintings in phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 05:16