We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian Dollar at the moment

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Australian Dollar at the moment

I see the Australian Dollar has just touched parity with the US Dollar (although it has slid back a bit again).

Can anyone let me know what rate of exchange (AUD to THB) is available in Patong / Karon at the moment?

I think it's better to take AUD's and exchange them in Phuket - I think when I went there last year the exchange rate was quite a bit better than in Australia. Any comment would be helpful. (We leave in exactly two weeks)

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

Today's average rate INSIDE Thaland for ONE Aussie dollar is 29.1฿.

Your other assumptions were correct last year, correct today, and will still be correct next year, that is... you will get more bang for your buck (for major currencies), by not exchanging a penny until you've landed INSIDE Thailand (as much as 10%).

Need more info? Check this out;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Want to know what the street exchange rates are tomorrow? You need this page;

…daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Edited: 16 October 2010, 00:52
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

The Aussie hit parity at 11pm last night but closed this morning at 0.9891 and i just checked Travelex Passport rates and they are only offering 0.9630!!!

What a ripoff,be careful.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

When exchanging currency, does that bank give you even money matching the current exchange rate at the time?

Or do they tax you a bit?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

Fourb - Thanks for the heads up, confirming my thoughts. the links are very useful too. Cheers.

John07 - Travelex seem really steep as far as their rates. If I change money here in Australia I use my local Credit Union. It takes a couple of days but their rates are a bit better. (Not as good as in Thailand though)

minnesotaMANgo - I'm pretty sure the banks take some money - that is they don't give you "even money matching" with the current exchange rate. I don't mind this as they have to make their bit too.... but I've been looking around here in Australia and the money exchangers (for AUD to THB) seem to be taking more than their fare share. I'll wait until I arrive and change a bit of currency at the airport and change the rest in Karon or Patong.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

No worries nobby, and as you said, the rate displayed on each and every cash exchange window, is precisely what you'll get... no sneaky extra fees or taxes whatsoever.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

G'day John07,

Sorry but you will never get the official rate as quoted on the news or in the papers anywhere there will be a slight difference and Travelex product you mention will most likely give you the lowest.... it is how they make money.

As a matter of interest I did a Telegraphic Transfer for a container of goods from Malysia which had to be paid in Usd I checked the online rate and rang the Anz Foreign Exchange desk and the rate quoted yesterday at 2.45pm EST was 0.9743 that was for amount over $10,000.00.

So there always is a difference ..... holidays always better to take cash and exchange it in the country your visiting .

Cheers

Lozza

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

Hi Lozza,

Please don't be sorry.There is always a buy/sell spread,that's how they make their money.What i was referring to is that Travelex had a 400 point spread (4 cents) where about 120-150 points is more the norm.

When i transfer funds from New York to Australia, and the AUD is trading at 0.95,my bank will give me 0.9620 on average and the big 4 banks here are all around the 120-150 point spread.

CBA is offering $1.0230 to accept funds from USA,now that our AUD is trading at 0.9891 which is a 339 point spread but will readjust on Monday morning's opening.

NAB is offering 1.0055,which is still high at 164 points but better than CBA.

Moral is don't bank with the big 4.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

G'day John,

No problems yes Travelex is a bit like that and why I avoid them like the plague and as for the big 4 well I haven't been able to find a smaller bank that can provide the services we need for business.

But have been able to get our TT fees down to $20 instead of $30 so we save a little lol

Cheers

Lozza

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

The Aussie/USD just dropped from 99.21 to 96.75 due to China lifting their interest rates for the first time in 3 years.

Our resource-driven economy would take a hit should Chinese growth slow markedly.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian Dollar at the moment

Yeah, I saw that. Didn't seem to make a big difference with the Thb though.