We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Jbr Oct 2010

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Our Jbr Oct 2010

Hi all,

I wasn’t going to do a report on Phuket as this is our 5th time here and it was only a short 6 days to chill out at the end of I think the best holiday we have ever had.

We had 3 weeks away this time with a night in KL 5 Days in Chiang Mai, 2 in Phnom Penh, 4 in Siem Reap and then 6 nights in Phuket. We did JBR’s along the way in Chiang Mai, Phnom Penh & Siem Reap forums if anyone is interested titled Our JBR

We arrived late this trip into Phuket around 830pm and by the time we cleared customs and fought our way through the taxi mafia to the metered cab area it was around 930pm. Now the metered cabs have changed a little as now you tell them where you are going and they give you a price, no 100baht to the organisers just pay the agreed fee at the end, saves a lot of messing around.

500 Baht to Patong, 700 to Karon and they are the only 2 I noticed.

We have stayed at many different places in Patong and this time decided to have a little luxury so we stayed at Duangjitt Resort in a Deluxe pool view room and at $90.00 per night for the room including breakfast this was fantastic value. The room was beautiful with a huge bathroom with shower separate bath separate toilet and double vanities. Then the bedroom was huge with very nice stained timber furniture with a huge nook area with windows to the pool and the biggest day bed I have ever seen with an outdoor balcony and tables and chairs. We both grinded as we walked in and thought this is going to be a nice stay. The resort is set on 36 acres and is immaculate with beautiful grounds gardens etc with 3 pools, one of them would be 200 metres from one end to the other meandering around palm trees and lush tropical gardens. Very good Varity for breakfast and it changed daily. The resort is at the bottom end of Patong Beach opposite DJ plaza and if you walked along the beach its about a 20 minute walk to Bang La road.

Jane waited for the Weekend market to shop this trip so when she hit it she shopped till she dropped, we went with Cathy & Gary and that was a huge bonus as Gary & I sat drinking beer while Jane & Cathy shopped, great suggestion from Gary, (thanks mate). About 30 minutes before the girls had finished shopping they gave us a bag of a dozen small Thai fish cakes each to keep us interested and at 20Baht a bag it was a bargain and they were delicious. When the girls had finished we went back through the food section and had spicy chicken wings, spicy chicken sausages, Chiang Mai sausage, Satays, and these gorgeous little desert type things that Cathy picked out that were so yummy. This really is a great way to have dinner and it was all delicious and cost us around $3.00 per head and we could not finish it all.

Had another Thai Style Tattoo from Patong Tattoo again and Mit did it again, 3 and a half hours of pain and one amazing piece of artwork in the finish. These guys are just amazing and I have said it before but they do the best work I have ever seen, they are spotlessly clean and use an autoclave steriliser and new needles every time opened in front of you. They also have a great bar just outside the shop and it’s a great way to kick back and relax with the girls. Just google Patong Tattoo Mit & Wat, for more details and some pics of their work. They are just near No.6 Chez Bernards and Sabai beach Restaurants. There are many new Tattoo shops opening up all over Patong and I am sure some are ok but don’t go past this one as they have a very good reputation.

Another new bar in Soi san Sabai opposite the end of Bang La Road at the Rat-U-Thit end is The Billabong Bar, its about 50 metres up from Bang La road and it’s a great bar for a relax, it has a pool table and it has Aircon and a great atmosphere. It also has a couple of outdoor bar areas right on the street undercover and it’s an entertaining place to watch all the Katoeys going to work in the early evening, open from 3pm till 5 am I think. Well worth a look and a couple of drinks.

We went to our usual haunts the Quokka Bar, the new Marry Aussie bar at O Top and had a few drinks with friends also a late night visit to Nuch the owner of the Orchard Garden Restaurant ( Hemmingway’s) opposite the Banana Leaf restaurant on Rat-U-Thit road and they still make the best Banana Pancakes in Phuket.

Had a great night out at Nicky’s Handlebar with Cathy & Gary and got to meet Chelle_Lee_B from Ta and Michelle (Aussie 1 from Asia Web) lovely ladies also caught up with the captain & His lovely wife and we had a fun night of drinking and eating and story telling. ( Did you get your pipe Tobaco Mark?? Tiff showed me the 2am Text message haha) I still think Nicky’s make the best Pizza I have ever had, I never eat western food while away but they do a Penang chicken curry pizza and I if you love it very spicy like I do ask to have it the same as Gary has if you dare.

Foot massages this year seemed to vary from 400B to 200B depending on where you go but the average was 250B and that’s a bargain.

Patong seemed very quite this time and the Tuk Tuk drivers starting price was 200B, last year it was 400B but most to the time we only paid between 100 & 150 for anywhere in Patong.

Time share touts, although they are still all over you in the early morn between 8 and 11am they even seemed polite this year and not as pushy as other years. We were only abused once this year by 2 English men, I think they were about no.11 in 25 minutes and Jane said P#ss off and get a real job. That morning we walked up the beach road and down Bang La road and were stopped by not less than12 of them. This year many of them had Absolute Peal on their shirts, its obvious they can’t be stopped but a polite “not interested thanks” seemed to do the job without fuss. Don’t engage these touts as you will never get away from them.

We ate at S&G café, Chez Bernards, Nicky’s Handlebar, Sabai Beach restaurant, I speak English (at the northern end of O Top) & I have to say the food is still excellent and cheap but to pick one out over the other would be very difficult.

The weather was sensational sunny, Hot, Humid and only rained the day of my Tattoo but then it’s a nice change as it cools things down a little.

Summing up we had a wonderful time catching up with friends and just kicking back and chilling out in the second best country in the world and we can’t wait to get back in February 2011.

Cheers, Pete & Jane.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

G'day Pete and Jane,

Enjoyed reading your JBR mate brings back memories mmm Sabai beach , Nicky's and will check out the new bar you mentioned.

And you get to go back before Di and I grrrr lol so looking forward to our return for more reasons than one lol.

It will be great taking the newbies and the 18 or so hangers on lol.

Take care be safe and be well

Cheers

Lozza and the future Mrs Lozza

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Hi

Lovely report, thanks for sharing!!

tm

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Loved your report Pete, well what can I say, your tat is fantastic, your room was sooo nice & yes the weekend markets were fun, especially the food, so tasty & cheap. I normally never find anything I like to buy there but it was different with Jane, found a few things hahaha. Sure is fun sitting outside at the Billabong Bar, looking at all the latest fashions lol!

You are so good doing your report so quickly, makes me feel bad for not doing one yet!

It was fantastic catching up again with you both, see you at Angies birthday bash!

Cathy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Great report Pete.. I so need to get on and write mine..think I am currently suffereing the PHB ( post holiday blues) !

Was great meeting you and Jane also and yes the food at Nickys is fantastic.. Jay my son fell in love with the chicken cordon bleu, best ever apparently! ( he was a little over thai food by the end of the trip!)

lot of great info in your report for those planning their trips!

Cheers

Chelle

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
557 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Hi,Great report.Geez you 2 are spoilt 5th time and back Feb 2011.3hours of pain,20 minutes killed me lol.But I'm happy with my tatt.Chelle think I have the same as you (phb).Newygirl

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Oops forgot to mention,

All our flights this trip were with Air Asia and i know some will disagree but we really can't fault them. We had 8 flights this trip and only 1 was 20 minutes late leaving. All these flights were booked 12 months ago and we have flown at a guess around 25 times with AA over the years and only one of those flights was canceled and that was a couple of years ago when they were very new.

Jane was up at 4 am this morning for their latest sale and she booked all our internal international flights for Oct 2011 for KL to Hanoi, Ho chi Min to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Phuket for $240 return for each of us so despite what some say its worth it because of the huge savings that we have made.

Thanks to everyone for the replies re the Jbr and Cathy & Chelle it was easy do do it quickly this time as we took a little net-book with us so we did it as we traveled.

Lozza 18 hangers on wow you could almost book out Sabai Beach and your time will come around so fast you will not know what's hit you. Newygirl yes are are spoilt and we know just how lucky we are to be able to have an overseas trip each, we gave up smoking 7 years ago and traveled OS every year with that money saved.

Cheers, Pete & Jane

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Great trip report! Thank you!

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
298 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Hi Pete and Jane

Thanks a ton for your JBR, loved it - counting the sleeps until we get there in Dec, wish I could book our next trip already!!

The weekend markets - is the one in Phuket City? Is it Friday, Sat and Sun from afternoon through to the evening?? We have never been to it so just wanted make sure. We are planning a day out to Tesco's etc so thought we could incorporate the market to.

cheers

Kirsty

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

Hi Kirsty,

Its in Phuket Town about 15-20 Minutes drive from Patong Beach and it operates on Saturday and Sunday nights, starts about 430 and goes till 10 ish

Its well worth a visit as the stalls are mostly fixed price and cheaper than in Patong. Also as i said the most amazing food and even some fried bugs if your game.

Cheers, Pete

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
298 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Jbr Oct 2010

thanks Pete, thats great. Will definitely make a trip through. I guess drivers will know where to take you if you say the night market in Phuket.

Can't wait :o) - how many more sleeps!!