We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chelles JBR...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Chelles JBR...

We're back! well we have been back nealry 2 weeks now and I am already thinking about my next trip back... I will attempt to to ramble to much but I make no promises.. once I get talking about my love of Thailand I have problems stopping!

We arrive flew into Phuket directly from Chaing Mai with air asia... how much better is it not having to go via Bangkok now.. saves a whole day of travelling and waiting in airports! No complaints about any of the 5 flights we had with AA ..couldnt fault them!

Manop was waiting for us outside the airport as booked and was lovely.. very friendly guy we were in the van and on our way to the Banthai in no time...and it was a fantastic this time as the last time I had stayed.. I will do a report on the hotel.. but in short.. great position, awesome breakfast, great pools and bars, and i really like the rooms.. no complaints at all.. and the staff were really nice.. my son become unwell while we were here and we had to call the hotel doctor one night.. well the next day there were phone calls from the manager checking he was ok .. and a lovely basket of roses arrived in the afternoon wishing him a speedy recovery... the look on his 15yr old face.. priceless.. but a lovely gesture! :)

we spent 8 nights at the Banthai before moving down to Graceland for our final 7 nights... and I know this may upset some.. but it is my report so I will write it... I wont be going back!

We had nothing but problems the entire time we were there.. from standing in the rain waiitng for a bellboy to help with the suitcases, to rude check in staff, rooms not being cleaned all day and having to run down to reception at night begging for at least clean towels and toilet paper... to the highlight.. sitting on my bed watching the sunset one night while the kids were out.. and the door opens.. kids back?? umm no .. just the bellboy moving another couple into our room... ummm hello?? and he still stood there for 5 mins.. to be then called by reception 5 mins later asking who I was!! lol .. yes we had been moved rooms that morning and somehow they forgot we were there...slightly awkward... oh and after walking down to reception to sort it out.. go back to my room to find myself locked out .. it was just muck up after muck up the whole stay... and personally the hotel is too big.. it has a cold feeling.. breakfast was terrible compared to what we had been used to .. the highlight of the hotel .. it did have the most amazing bath!! :)

anyway we will move on..

I cant do a day by day as we had many days that were just spent relaxing , wandering , eating and shopping.. oh my with a 15, 20 and 21 yr old we brought back in total from our 3 weeks in thailand an extra 75 kgs than we went over with .. not bad! But the highlight as far as shopping went is the Phuket Town weekend market.. can not recc it enough for those staying over a weekend.. the prices are soo much cheaper, the stall holders less pushy and food amazing!!

Eating... well did we eat! we returned to some of our favourite haunts... along the beach , Romas ( italian was a nice change) and we found some new loves! Nickys handlebar!! Now this is my third trip but I had never been before... I arranged to meet up with Cathy and Gary one night and along with Mark & Donna ( hi guys!) who were also staying at the Banthai we ventured up to Nickys for the night.. and returned many times!! The food is awesome... staff fantastic and the drinks cheap! Mr 15 had one of the highlights of his trip to Phuket here... a cruise around Patong on the back of a Harley! Kai was amazing with him .. got out the bike... took a heap of photos and they were off! mr 15 the food critic who was struggeling a little with missing "normal food" rated the chicken Cordon Bleu here the best thing he has eaten in his life... so much it became his last meal in Phuket as well .. lol

Cathy and Gary .. I thank you both for a couple of great nights.. fantastic tips and Cathy.. when I use my beach bag I will always think of you! :)

The Sunshine Bar.. well for those of you that have been on the forum a while you would have seen our big countdown to the night at the Sunshine bar... and I had a ball!! Thank you to all those that came down.. we drank , we sang, there was pole climbing... Jay was the first to ring the bell.. but Donna got up and showed those boys how it was done!! Corky my flashing red head band bow will come in handy I am sure..and I am sorry I missed the jager bombs! Cathy, Gary,Newygirl, Lorlin, Tigerthai and his group.. and all the others that came.. I thank you for an awesome night.. unfortunalty this is the night Jay started getting sick and we had to leave.. but Sunshine Bar.. I will be back!!

and other random stuff:

Ok so if you ever sleep in and miss breakfast at your hotel.... I highly rec Molly Malones .. great english breakfast!! 99bht before 12 but it goes all day... eggs, bacon , the most amazing hash browns , the thickest toast and a great coffee!

Massages... oh how I miss them !! and I kept returning to one of my favourites .. The original one! It is at the end of the Soi that leads down to patong tower off beach road.. cheap , gorgeous staff and well worth the walk! p.s if anyone knows where I can get a manicure, pedicure and massage in melbourne for less than $15 please let me know :)

PANCAKES!! oh how I missed you! one good point about graceland was the close proximity of pancakes in the evening! the most amazing 40 bht I have ever spent!! yes mossy I used you as an excuse many a night to indulge :)

Well I will sign off for now.. there are many more tails to be told... but I will hang onto those memories for a little bit, and update at a later stage....

I will say tho... Phuket you have not seen the last of Chelle!!

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Banthai Beach Resort & Spa
Banthai Beach Resort...
2,374 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa
Phuket Graceland Resort...
2,927 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Town
Phuket Town
Phuket, Thailand
Nicky's Handlebar Hotel
Nicky's Handlebar Hotel
216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chelles JBR...

Well its about time Ms Chelle, I have been waiting for your report!

We had a fantastic time with you & thankyou so much for organizing the night out at the Sunshine Bar, it certainly was a lot of fun. Thankyou for reminding me about the beach bags haha, I havent seen mine since we have been home, hopefully it is in the last box to arrive from Phuket!

I have never seen anyone smile so much as Mr15, he certainly loved that Harley ride.

Are you back to normal yet, we are really struggling with being back lol. See you in Phuket maybe next year??

Cathy

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chelles JBR...

:) I am struggling with being back ! hence me taking so long to write.. lol

there is a good chance you might see me there next yr... miss reet is trying to twist my arm at the moment to book some flights! when are you there till tho??

Yes the bike photos did end up as a facebook display pic! lol he loved it .. I think I have another Thailand convert on my hands!

Chelle!

Mentioned in this post
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chelles JBR...

Chelle, we arrive June 1st and leave 30th October (with a few side trips thrown in here & there lol). Go on do it!!

Cathy

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chelles JBR...

Sounds like a really good time, with a couple of bad bits to make you realise the really good bits!

Thanks for sharing!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
717 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chelles JBR...

Great job on JBR Chelle.

Shame about Gracelands, oh well, we must have been lucky, but as you said close to the best Pancakes & Nicki's.

Would love to do the sunshine bar at some stage, here's hoping for next year.

All the best.

Rob

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
301 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chelles JBR...

Hi Chelles

Love your JBR...wish I was in the same position as Cathy and Gary to spend months at a time in Thailand. I will keep dreaming!!

Quick question - we will be there over the Christmas and New weekends. I assume that the market would be open on the 26th of Dec or New years day given that the Thai people don't celebrate Christmas.I am soooo keen to go through and buy from there.

Also our third time back and will definitely try the sunshine bar!

cheers for now, Kirsty, South Africa

Edited: 16 November 2010, 08:22
Mentioned in this post
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chelles JBR...

Excelent JBR - brings back all the memories as well, and just makes you want to be back there more and more.

Won't be long & you'll begin the planning for your next trip back again as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chelles JBR...

Hey Missy,

Great report, you have had me thinking about bannana pancakes for weeks now!

I say go back as often as you can, we may have to take a little break after the December / January trip - but as soon as bambino is old enough......

K

Adelaide
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chelles JBR...

OMG Chelle, that took you forever Lol

Sounds like you had an amazing holiday, and like you, I will definitely be back!

Don't even mention the pancakes, massages and pedicures!

and the flashing bow, you should see my two year old little dude running around with it on, he loves it.

XoxoxoxoX

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chelles JBR...

thanks guys :)

Cathy leaning towards oct again... you me and reet now that could be an interesting night out!!

Miss Kimberley... is there something I dont know?? facebook me girl!!

Corky I have struggled.. lol.. and the flashing bow I am not sharing with my kids.. lol.. tho stace said it would do well if she ever wanted to dress and mini mouse!

'

Kirsty .. I would assume it would be .. it is open sat and sun .. 100 bht sunnies cant go wrong!

Tiger .. cant win everytime.. next trip will prob stay somewhere I havent before just for a change.. tho it is tempting to go back to what you know and enjoy!

Cheers

Chelle