We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best markets

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The Best markets

We are staying in Patong for Xmas and new years. The other half would love your opinion on which market and where is the beat price, range etc and any other reason why you think it's the beat market around.

Would really appreciate some examples of current prices you paid

Thanking you so much for your advise and sharing your experience.

Jon and Alice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best markets

Hi Jon and Alice,

Sorry I can't give prices on most things as we do very little shopping in Phuket...

However,I can recommend Phuket town weekend night markets for fruit and anything else plus a great cheap local meal...

Karon Beach markets are a smaller market...

Otop in Patong is an all in one area market providing stuff (same same)that one can find anywhere in market stalls dotted throughout Patong but they have some nice bars to stop and have a nice cold drink between shopping....

Kamala Beach Wednesday markets are quite interesting...!!

Banzaan markets behind Jungceylon have a huge range of cheap exotic fruit and seafood....

Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best markets

I love the Karon Night Markets which are held in the temple grounds (I think they are on Tuesday and Sundays??). They are more like a locals market than a tourist market but we got tshirts for $1AU.

Phuket Town Weekend Markets are great - everything from fried bugs to doonah covers, etc. Best idea is to know what things are worth or at least what you are willing to pay before you go.

Karon Markets - up near Old Phuket hotel are OK - I found them cheaper than shopping in Patong, less crowd and less pushy.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best markets

Hi there,

Phuket town weekend markets would have to be one of the best for us as the prices are low to start with. In Patong there are a couple of market areas with Patong O Top being the biggest about 150 stalls but you have to know your prices to get a bargain so check out Cathy & Gary's travel pages for more info on Prices. www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/phuket.htm

Cheers, Pete

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best markets

I agree with the other comments. The best market and cheapest for me is the market in Phuket town on Saturdays and Sundays. It start after 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Good luck with the shopping, if you are anything like me you will end up with 10 bags of clothes after "the other half" is done.

5. Re: The Best markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2011, 06:19
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor