We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good beaches in Phuket

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Good beaches in Phuket

Hi

Am taking my daughter to Phuket in May/June for her 21st and am looking for a place with a nice beach to relax and swim at and is not tidal or rocky. Prefer not to be too close to the busy places in Phuket such as Patong as we can just go there when we want to. Hear that the Merlin Beach Resort around the corner from Patong is nice (has free shuttles to Patong) as is Kata.

Thanks for your thoughts... :-)

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good beaches in Phuket

All the beaches are tidal.

From what i remember the one at Merlin has a few rocks but not many.

Most all western beaches are pretty good with Kata, Kata Noi, Nai Harn being the best IMO.

Nai Harn used to be the gem but, word got out and no it is super crowded there.

11 years ago, it was a pile of vegetation with almost no people.

No it has over 1,000 people every day and is filled with beach chairs and umbrellas.

Still decent swimming though.

I'd go to Kata I think.

Patong is quite dirty (too many people and too many hotels dumping bad things into it)

The northern beaches are a little steeper I believe.

Karon is nice and long but can be dangerous (more drownings there)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good beaches in Phuket

The northern beaches are beautiful too (in season as with the south) and not steep, mostly. Kamala is great and still close to Patong if needed; although no resort has great access to it Surin is stunning and good for snorkeling; Bang Tao / La Pang is wonderful but is mostly beach; Naithon is magic, just very isolated and little there, maybe too quiet for a 21 yo; Nai yang is nice but a litlle walk is needed to get to the good stuff.

Check the FAQ section top right for more detail.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good beaches in Phuket

Hey, thanks very much for your thoughts. Appreciate them.

Cheers

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good beaches in Phuket

I'm a fan of Karon Beach,beautiful,obey the flags,lot's of drownings in Phuket

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good beaches in Phuket

both kata and karon are great beaches with easy access to patong but much quieter.

6. Re: Good beaches in Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 10:29