We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa

cape town
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visa

This is my third time to Phuket and i am very excited because this time we are staying 33 nights. To my horror I just realised that as a South African i can stay up to 30 days in Phuket without a visa and so does my partner who is British. What do we do? Do we apply as we arrive in Phuket for a Visa for the extra 3 days or do we do this in South Africa before we leave? I am slightly paranoid to send our passports to Pretoria as my partner's British passport contains his South African's Bussiness visa and if that gets lost it is a total nightmare. Or would we have to fly out of Phuket for a few days and come back to reduce our 33 days to something less? If we do that where does one go? Kulala Lumpur? Any advice will be much apreciated. Regards from Cape Town

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa

Hi,

You have a few options...

A "visa run" is one option-- it tends to be at least one full day and can be expensive-- but really depends on where you go and how you go.. but it's pretty much a sure thing.. You'd get a new entry stamp (wavier) for either 15 via land or 30 via air when you return.

Where you go to do a visa run is largely a matter of time/cost.. Regardless of where you go, the amount of time you'll get when you return is only based on *how* you re-enter Thailand-- by air (30 days) or by land (15) days..

Another possible idea is applying for an Extension of Stay at any office of the Immigration department.. Extensions presently cost B1900 to apply.. but.. do know that they are *not* automatic.. They are issued at the sole discretion of the Immigration officer.. Traditionally they are approved, but it's not entirely unheard of for applicants to be required to show cause for the extension.

Lastly, as you note, you could also apply for a visa in your home country before travel..

I will point out one risk you may run.. Your airline who you are flying to Thailand on, *may* deny you boarding since you *technically* do not meet all the requirements for entry under the tourist visa waiver program.. If that happens, you'd be somewhat stuck, since they would be correct in their application of the Thai law on the matter..

You can call your airline and ask, but do know that in the end, it will normally fall to the actual agent who processes your check-in that will make "the call" if you're allowed to fly or not.

Travel Safe,

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa

I'm also from Cape Town, you can definitely go on a one day trip to Ranong on the Burmese border, get a long tail boat across to Burma, book in and book out, you will need to give the Burmese Immigration a new 10$ bill, they won't accept old ones then come back to Thailand and book in, you get and extra 14 days, or you can stay in the Border Town called Kow Thong, Burma. ( not sure how to spell it) for the few days, they give you two weeks, or maybe you can get a few days extra from Phuket Immigration at a cost, but the trip to Burma is fun, drive through the jungle and Kow Lak, through the Thai Villages, the Burmese Long Tail Trip is interesting, cost 100thb each return.

You can also go on a standard visa run from Phuket for 1500Thb, minivan max 10 people but sometimes less. Whole thing done in a day if you wish.

kathu
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa

Best to do the the extension at phuket Immigration can get up to 7 days more. Don't forget you need 1 passport photo and photo copies of passport fill in form and pay the 1,900 baht. easy done in 20 minutes there.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa

I extended my 60 day Tourist Visa at Phuketown a few weeks ago and i was in the office for 3 minutes.You need to go downstairs for the photocopies.

5. Re: Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 02:18