We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Greeting my fellow food lovers.

I love my Thai food, but I find that depending on which of my regular restaurants I go to depends on what I eat. (i.e One restaurant I will order Massaman one I will always order Pad thai and so on)

I wanted to get your options on who does the best of the following anywhere in Phuket.

Massaman Beef Curry.

Green Curry

Red Curry

Pad Thai

Tom Yum

Satay Skewers

Spring Rolls

I plan to try as many answers as possible. let me know why it is the best too (price, taste, spicyness)

above is my usual Thai Choices but if there is a dish I should not miss in Phuket please let me know!

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Green papaya salad (som tam) is a must

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

hahah you sound like my mum. I have tried som tum. pretty good but i am not a huge salad fan. any particular place you would recommend to get it from?

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

We had ours when in Krabi from the street stalls . Didn't get it while in Phuket as it was our first trip and were a bit nervous with the street stalls but got braver when in Krabi . It was fun to watch it being made just nodding our head when ingredients where added including a dried dead crab . I assume street stalls have it in Phuket and possibly restaurants also .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Lemongrass Thai restaurant in Phuket town, really authentic delicious food, great service and prices are pretty good. Can't wait to go back again!

Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Green Curry from the Red Onion (in Karon) is excellent, price & flavour. They do a great range of dishes and if you like your food spicy & hot you'll love it here.

Best spring rolls are from Ging - prawn spring rolls are delicious. They also do a great lobster. Ging is one of my favourite restaurants in Phuket and can't be beaten for service and quality. (They also have the nicest loo in Phuket LOL).

Satay skewers from the food cart that goes into the Aroona Arcade. Or BBQ prawn skewers from Karon Seafood eaten on the beach at sunset with a nice long cold Chang.

Pad Thai is fabulous from a restaurant with no name next door to the Bamboo Pharmacy in Karon.

Don't forget the pancakes sold from the carts - my other half makes it his personal mission to ensure he gets pancakes every night :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Red Onion has the Best Green curry I agree. it is soo good that I no longer eat it in Australia as they cannot do it anywhere as good.

Thanks for the update!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Hi Tristan,

Massaman Beef Curry from Nicky's handlebar, Green Curry from Pums restaurant is to die for, Red Curry from S&G, Tom Yum from Sabi Sabi

Pad Thai from Chez Bernards or Tung Ka , Satay Skewers from the stalls at the Phuket town weekend markets and Spring Rolls from the Orchard restaurant opposite the banana leaf restaurant.

Now i must go and make some Thai for Dinner as my mouth is now watering.

Cheers, Pete

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
442 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Hi Tristan,

You've gotta give Kaab Gluay a try. It is at the northern end of Patong on the road leading upto the hills. Same road as the Esso Petrol Station. We've eaten there and have always been the only tourists there. The menu is to die for, choices are endless and prices are way cheaper.

Spoz

Australia
Level Contributor
281 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

I also love my Thai food and will be noting these restaurants for when we go (in 10 weeks!), though, can you advise the locations of these?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Foodies - Thai Food Lovers

Kanom jeen is also very famous in Phuket. I love the kanom jeen with crab curry at Raya restaurant on Debuk road (www.gotophuket.com/restaurants/raya.htm) the restaurant is set in an old-style house and the curry comes with big chunks of crab meat. yummy!

for breakfast, locals usually go for dim sum and coffee. there're so many dim sum stalls so don't forget to try it. actually Phuket has lots of its own local food like Hokkian noodles (the famous one is Mee Ton Pho) but if you want a one-stop place, go to Lok Tien food center on Yaowarat road in the old town area. it's an open-air, no-frills food court which brings together many of Phuket's famous local restaurants.