We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just not convinced...

Queensland...
Level Contributor
461 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Just not convinced...

Hi, I've posted once before about my dilemma and got some good advice. Alas some of the recommendations are not available for our dates so I'm hoping for more help. Currently I have a reservation at Dewa but this can be cancelled. I'm just feeling abit worried that Dewa isn't going to be a good choice given our criteria.

1. Great pool - preferably with water slides.

2. Kids Club

3. Restaurants and massages close by.

4. Price of maximum Aust $250 per night.

5. Family friendly

We don't care about beach frontage as we're not big beach people.

I think I have over researched and now am more confused than ever.

Oh and we are coming in April Aust school holidays so need to decide soon as a number of places already are booked out or ridicously pricey.

Thanks yet again.

Patong
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just not convinced...

JW Mariott at Mai Khao beach?

Perth
Level Contributor
328 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just not convinced...

Have you looked at the Courtyard by Marriott at Surin Beach? It has water slides, a kids club and is close to restaurants and massage places. Plus Surin is a great place to stay as its relatively quiet but still only 10-15 mins from Patong by taxi....

Queensland...
Level Contributor
461 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just not convinced...

Is JW marriott about the same distance from Patong as the Dewa? One of our concerns is that we should try and get something closer in case we want to do more in Patong.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
442 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just not convinced...

Have a look at the Courtyard Marriot in kamala. 2 bedroom suites, Kids club, water slide. Bit of a walk into the main part of kamala buit there are a few restaurants outside the resort and Tuk Tuks a plenty. Friends of ours styaed there and loved it.

Spoz

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just not convinced...

IMO I think you could choose better. Surin is nice and so are Kata and Karon - very good family areas. I am not too familiar with kamala but Courtyard seems like it fits your requirements.

What about Centara resorts in Kata or Karon?

You are there at a very busy time so don't just check online - email the properties and see if they have anything available.

Last Easter we could not find very little available on line but when we emailed some of the resort found they had rooms available.

The other one that might be worth looking at - if you are not beach people - is the Evason. It is quite a way from Patong (about 40 mins, about the same as Dewa) but you can get to Phuket Town and Kata quite easily.

Toowoomba, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just not convinced...

We stayed one week in kata and one week in mai Khao and much preferred kata. We are not beach people either and much prefered the different activaties avai,able.close by in Kata, like the Dino mini golf etc.

Just wasn't enough to keep us or the kids interested in mai Khao.,,

Still liked it though, but kata was definitkly the highlight,

Queensland...
Level Contributor
461 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just not convinced...

Thanks so much. The more I think about it the more I believe that we should keep looking at something about closer. I'll check out your suggestions and try contacting the hotels directly.

Underneaththe - are you from Toowoomba? We live there!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
461 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just not convinced...

I've just found some good deals for Hilton at Karon, Evason, Duangjitt. Centara Karon and Horizon Karon. Any thoughts on how these would suit?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just not convinced...

Do you realize Duangjitt is in Patong? I think you are struggling as you are trying to please all the family. If the kids are the most important you will have to compromise on quality of the resort. For example either the location, rooms, decor etc, to get a kids club and waterslide. At the end of the day I am sure if you pick one of those in Karon you will be happy. Your kids may surprise you and not want to go to the kids club anyway. In my small experience of kids clubs (except in the US) they are not that much fun - more of child minding. Also $250 does not go that far in April as you have discovered.

I am sure people who have stayed at these hotels can give you a better idea.

I always over analysis everything too.

Good Luck

PS I know it says unavailable but email the Centara Grand - I got a special offer from them last week - I find it hard to believe that 272 rooms are all gone

Edited: 28 March 2011, 04:11
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just not convinced...

PSS - you could always split your time - 4 days in two areas. We always do this. During the green season it usually works out more expensive due to stay pay deals but in April it wont make much difference.