We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Hi, we are coming to Phuket in June with 2 young kids that are "always hungry"!!!

And just wondering if Kids Food Snacks - such as packets of chips, fruit bars, muesli bars, biscuits etc are readily available to buy in Phuket??

Or should I bring some packets with me in my luggage?

But will these snack foods be allowed through Customs at Phuket Airport?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Hi,

Available here.. Unless there is a specific brand they like, most can be bought here.. If you go to an international or more 'western' oriented store, you'll find a fair number of such products.. may not be as extensive as at home and the pricing might not be as good, but for the most part it can be sourced here.

When it comes to chips/.crisps, they have some rather unique, local flavors..

But if they don't take up much room and weigh little, then it might not hurt to bring some if you like.. after all, you won't be bringing it back with you..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 05 April 2011, 04:22
Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Hi Bec,

There is a supermarket (Carefores) in Jungceylon shopping centre so you'll be able to stock up with the likes of all you have mentioned...

There is also a large number of 7 elevens around the place which carry all these things also.

Definitely no need to bring from home!!!

Waz :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

As GOBPI mentions there are lots of 'local' flavours which may not suit everyone, and crisps are no exception including some quite spicy ones, although I've seen western favourites too like cheese & onion etc. in some 7-11s, Tops, Tesco Lotus etc. Biscuits are widely available but local or US brands seem to dominate.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Kit Kats are really cheap and good! me and my wife always have fun getting snacks there and I am sure the kids will find favourites there.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Same same but different.

Happy eating.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Thanks guys for your info & tips.

I think I will pack a few small things in the suitcase to get me out of trouble initially, & then it sounds like there will be plenty of choices to buy locally at the 7-11's & supermarkets.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,738 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Having been to Thailand several times with our young kids, we've never had a problem getting snacks for them. There is lots of delicious, ready to eat fruit, another great snack are the banana pancakes, kids loved them. Also we'd just order a bowl of yummy fried rice when hunger struck. We really didn't bother much with western snacks, although maybe take a bag of muesli bars just in case, but there are so many snacking options usual available I think you will be fine.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
588 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

The snacks are in Thailand are great... we usually end up bringing quite a few back with us, strawberry oreo's are delish!!

Last trip we took some of the small packets of shapes, they came in quite handy in the first few days.

Have a great trip :-)

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

definately the fresh fruit off the carts and fruit juice, corn cobs too. always recommend the fried rice and spring rolls.

plenty of snacks available at a 7/11, they're everywhere. no need to worry.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Snacks for Kids - buy in Phuket or bring with me?

Also ice creams are half the price of what we pay here in Sydney. Check them out at the 7 11 & little minimarts. Sweets are also a lot cheaper than home. I'm always stocking up on the chewing gum to bring home,it's so cheap over there. CJ