We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

Hi, I have heard that Jetstar won't allow duty free on board bought in Bali Airport (not sure if that is because they don't have tamper-proof bags or not), and was wondering about the duty free in Phuket Airport? Is this allowed on the Jetstar flights and if so, do I have to get it in a tamper proof bag? I always want to buy duty free alcohol in Phuket as it is so cheap, but never usually think to keep some Thai baht (I won't use my credit card due to issues, even in the airport I have heard, with credit card fraud) Don't want to buy it and then find I can't take it on the plane! This is our first flight with Jetstar to Phuket. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

Hi Souths,

The short answer is no ... but It's been covered in depth here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297930-i9925-k433…

Regards Jeff

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

I should have stated that it's not actually Jetstar that's imposing the ban ... it's an Australian Governement regulation and the duty free store won't sell it to you if you're heading back to Australia :-)

Edited: 22 April 2011, 06:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

so that is the duty free store just before we board in the airport unable to sell to people going to Australia? Damn, they are SO cheap there! Especially the Alize' compared to Australian prices even the duty free in aust is $39.99!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

Assuming you have a connecting flight in Singapore then you have to be able to put your alcohol in the hold luggage. If you google LAGS it explains it all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

No, we have a direct flight from Phuket to Australia

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

Ok well the law as I understand it is if you buy duty free after you have been processed at the airport and all security screening has finished, then you can carry on board with you. Ie: you buy in duty free stores in departure lounge.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

It is all very confusing and changed sometime last year as 2009 we could still bring duty free into Australia.

Some airports will alow you to buy duty free alcohol to bring back to Australia, some will not & Phuket is one where they will not sell to you.

The actual Australian Customs site info on the Guide for Travellers says:

If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring 2.25 litres of alcohol duty-free into Australia with you. All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in

this category, regardless of where or how it was purchased.

Then on the next page it says:

Restrictions on Liquids, Aerosols and Gels

All Australian international inbound and outbound flights are subject to security screening restrictions for liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs).

As a traveller you are not able to carry onboard more than one litre in total of LAGs goods. LAGs must be in containers no larger than 100ml each and fit comfortably within a one litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag.

LAGs restrictions apply to the following types of liquids, aerosols and gels, but are not limited to:

• water and other drinks, soups, syrups, jams, stews, sauces and pastes

• foods in sauces or containing a high liquid content

• creams, lotions, cosmetics and oils

• perfumes

• gels including hair and shower gels

• contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foam and deodorants

• pastes including toothpaste

• mascara

• lip gloss or lip balm and

• any item of similar consistency at room temperature.

So the info on the same leaflet is saying two different things!!

Here is another complaint re bringing duty free into Australia published in the Age November last year.

http://tinyurl.com/3r8q7kf

Cathy

Edited: 22 April 2011, 14:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

Hi,

Cathy is correct ... Phuket a/p duty free will not sell you duty free liquor to take into Australia.

metragnome - Unfortunately the law is not as you understand it ... The Australian regulations are quite clearly outlined at:

…infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/du…

which states in part ...

"Do ... Purchase duty free at your last airport before Australia, but make sure it is delivered to the boarding gate" ... and

"Only duty free delivered to the boarding gate will be allowed onboard flights to Australia."

Phuket duty free does not deliver to the boarding gate.

End of story!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

thanks so much for this....at least I know where I stand with this issue now and why/how....how crap...lol. Takes the fun out of getting cheaper alcohol like that overseas in duty free as presents, especially with the aussie so strong at the moment...oh well.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is duty free alcohol allowed on Jetstar from Phuket airport?

Hi Souths123,

The other option is to buy your alcohol in Thailand and put it into your check in Luggage before leaving. If your flight is direct you can as said take 2.25L per person back into Aus and you will find that going into Carrefour supermarket or one of the bottle shops in Phuket, the prices are cheaper than the Aussie duty free anyway, Check Cathy & Gary's web pages for prices.

It only seems to be an issue from Phuket so we always put it in our check in luggage and have never had an issue as the Lags regulations only apply to on board cabin luggage. We travel from KL often and there you can purchase and they deliver it to the gate lounge for collection before your flight departure.

Cheers, Pete.