We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Canberra
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Can anyone tell me what excise or duty percentage would be payable if I declared 12 bottles of Australian wine on arrival at Phuket Airport. My wife can only drink preservative free - no sulphur - wine. Nothing else including spirits. I understand you are only able to take in 1 litre each of alcohol and I am prepared to pay the duty if the extra wine is allowed. I have trolled this site and the Thai Excise and Customs websites without luck - and I have sent an email to their customs department. I have read excise was recently cut to 30% but have also read elsewhere it is much higher. Has anyone brough extra alcohol into Phuket, declared it and paid an excise??? I have also searched several wine shops in Phuket for preservative free wine (given the heat I doubt they would have it). Any advice/experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

I don't know the percentage, maybe somebody else does, but I can tell you that the major issue will be you'll have to convince the customs officer of the value.

Canberra
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Thanks Stevenl - I planned to keep the Australian receipt as proof of value (about $15 each)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Hi,

It's a very complex formula..

The Thai customs department uses the international standard Harmonized Tariff Codes (HC). As a signatory to the WTO, they also use the "transaction value" to establish the base of which then becomes tax liable.

The Thai Customs Bureau does have the *full* import tariff rate sheet on-line and search able..

If you look under the general classification of 'wine' HC 22.04, you see there are some 15+ sub-categories.. however, they all appear to have the same base tax rate applied.. 60% percent!

Customs Bureau:

http://tinyurl.com/4yq8aur

Use this link to access the tax database.. Click on "Search Import Tariff",

then type the word "wine" in the box labeled "description", then click on search.

When the results come up, click on 22.04 "wine of fresh grapes..."

On the next page you'll see all the various sub-classes of wine.. and they all are taxed-- ad valorem-- at 60%...

And don't forget it's taxed on the value that customs decides is the transactional value, and NOT necessrilly what you paid for it.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 23 April 2011, 06:33
Canberra
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Thanks Gopbi. I had found that site and for Australia and New Zealand they appear to have decreased it recently from 60 to 30% which would be more than fair. I take your point on what they may value it at.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

How may bottle they allow per person? My kids are 15 and 17 and looks older. So if we are 4 in the group do they allow 4 bottles and if they are 750 ml can I take 5 bottles? Just checking.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Hi,

It's not how many bottles one can have, rather it's total QUANTITY the passenger has..

Each eligible* person is allowed ONE LITER and the rules do not make mention of how that can be packaged.. So, any combination of bottles and containers so that >>in aggregate<< you don't exceed the one liter limit would be permitted..

*As to age, since the Thai law for purchase and consumption is 20, I suspect that those under 20 would not be entitled to any allowance since they are not old enough to buy or consume it within the Kingdom.. Naturally appearance of a passenger is not germane to the allowance..

Lastly, remember they do in fact impose fines on those caught improperly importing or exceeding the allowances without making a formal declaration to Customs.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 23 April 2011, 07:29
Sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Hi, you maybe able to help me. I know that the excise on Australian and New Zealand wines was dropped from 60% to 30% but I cannot find where I found this. I can find the tariff rate for 2012 being 12% but not the excise rate. If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards

Rod

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Hi we are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids under 18 recently travelled to Thailand from Melbourne. We were told by friends that you are allowed to take in 1 litre of alcohol per passport(so also under 18) into Thailand.We asked 2 people in duty free area.One lady made us feel stupid .She said they are under 18 so cant drink.Oh really.I was paying for my 2 litres of bottles of alcohol and lovely lady at register said you know you can take a litre per passport into Thailand. As a wine drinker it was like xmas. So to be safe i got a 750 ml plus the smaller 250 ml bottles to make up a litre.The 250 ml bottles came in handy to have around pools. Even started filling them up from my big bottle.Also got some champagne. When we were going through customs in Bangkok and Phuket my husband carried the bag of 5 litres of alcohol.he never got questioned.

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Hi, sorry to bring up an old post but ran across this doing a topic search. I would be interested to know how the OP (or anyone else who has declared excess wine) got on with customs and how much extra had to be paid. We did this last year in Bali and got charged $AU10 a bottle (although ended up paying a little less)

Any feedback or experience would be Much appreciated. Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What % excise is payable on bringing extra wine into Phuket?

Hi I hate to tell you this but the cost of bringing wine into Thailand will cost you a fortune. The cost of the VAT / Municipal Tax / Tarrif / Duty and Excise will multiply the cost of your wine by about 3. So if it is a 10 bottle of wine you could pay as much as $30 in taxes. If you want I can send you a little spreadsheet that will calculate the taxes for you.