We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
hobart
Level Contributor
171 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
atm use

Can anyone tell me about pin numbers, my bank in Australia tells me you need to use a six digit number, not four as here

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atm use

Sounds like your bank is wrong. 4-digit pin numbers certainly work. 6-digits may or may not.

Perth
Level Contributor
328 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atm use

Always used a four digit pin in Phuket just as in Australia!

hobart
Level Contributor
171 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atm use

thanks to all replies, I thought so

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: atm use

If you want to keep your ATM fees down, unless you are on some sort of card package with your bank, check out the 28 degrees Mastercard. It's free to get and use and keep, with no ATM fees (except unavoidable 150 baht Thai ATM fee). You load it before you go with your spending money, then withdraw from your credit account once there. Just don't drop below zero balance, and realise if you use it as a credit card too, it reduces that balance from your positive balance cash amount; it is not separate. Best thing is, whatever cash you don't use you can withdraw 'fee free' from any ATM when you get home.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atm use

Just to add to the confirmation, we use our UK 4 pin digits . . . so think your Bank might be a bit out of it . . .?

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: atm use

My Aussie account at Suncorp and Bangkok Bank account both use 4 digit PIN in ATMs in Thailand.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: atm use

I'm from South Africa, and I used both my ATM cards in Phuket, one has a 4 digit pin, and the other a 5 digit pin.

Was in a hurry one day, made a withdrawal, took my cash and hit the road. I later found out out I left my ATM card in the machine! Luckily the ATM I used was attached to a bank, the next day i chanced it and popped in to see if anyone maybe returned my card, to my surprise some kind soul actually did return it! What was more frightening though is the huge stack of cards the the lady from the bank took out of her draw, seems this is a common mistake by travellers. I was just happy to get my card back, didnt do it again though! :)

8. Re: atm use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 20:18