We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

G'day Everyone,

Well it was time to move to Kata Beach ...Arranged with Daj to do the transfer from the Thara to the Tropical Gardens Resort in Kata Beach .

We checked out at 12 noon which went smoothly and was completed in about 10 minutes ... it was sad to leave the Thara but know we will return.

Now I have stayed in Kata before and wanted to try a different hotel the last one did not cut it with us ..... I chose the Tropical Gardens Resort based on location and price as our travelling companions were on a bit of a budget.

Cheeck in had a couple of hiccups ,but mainly my fault ..the lovely and ever helpful Chantal from Phuket Scuba Club had gone and checked out the rooms for me before I booked amd her answers were completely honest.... She said there was alot of steps but the veiw from the room was great .

Well Chantal was right there was alot of steps but I coped even with my disability and the veiw was great looking out on Kata Beach. Spent the rest of the afternoon was spent having a swim and a few coldies ( yes we still had our iceboxes and were very handy ) around 6pm we headed off to Phuket Scuba Club to catch up with Chantal and Kevan as well as hand over some goodies it was great to see them again

The Phuket Scuba Club is next door to the Bounty Bar a place we fell in love with and it was great to catch up with them ..... The food at the Bounty is really tasty and inexpensive ... their massaman curry is to die for and they keep the drinks flowing.. It is also a great place to watch the world pass by.

Kata was very quiet this year more than usual but that was ok as we were ment to be chilling after the hectic previous week ....The staff at the Tropical Gardens seem become friendlier as the days passed there are 2 pools which are ok and the guys at the pool bar are very funny.... Breakfast was just ok but we had been spoilt by the Breakfast at the Thara ....the selection was not too bad but things like the egg station could do with some improvement...like cook the eggs fresh to order and the bacon should be kept in a bain-marie not sitting in a tray on the egg grill ... it becomes dry and not very edible .... it is always interesting to observe other nationalities at breakfast ..can be quite amusing ( things like the wife loading up the toaster with 12 pieces of bread whilst hubby filled the plates )

We had arranged a day tour with Daj and he picked up some of our guests from the Wedding and then picked us up We did Kok Chang Safari all the view points and Big Buddha and because we had 4 yr old Gracie with us we decided to do Phuket Aquarium as she is fascinated by fish .... We hadn't been there before and was great if you have small children we didn't do Wat Chalong as Gracie was getting very tired ... Daj as usual was fantastic and helpful as alwaysand nothing is too much trouble.

We also ate at Kata Mama's seafood a few times then went for a stroll along the beach ..the first time we did this we left the beach near the publice toilet block and my best man Kenny went to wash the sand off his feet... Now I had told Kenny before we left for Phuket that never lose your cool with a Thai person explaining the various reasons... Well Kenny didn't notice the sign saying that to use the facilities costs ..He went in and was out in 10 seconds didn't do anything But the Thai guy demanded he pay 15 baht .....Well Kenny said what for?? I said Kenny just pay well it got quite heated with me apologising and Kenny refusing to pay for just walking in and out.... When I seen the Thai guy starting to use his mobile I said Kenny pay now!! which he did under sufferance and had his change thrown at him..... This could have been very very nasty .

I tried to explain to Kenny but I think sadly this left him with a sour outlook on Kata Beach and he was like a dog with a bone for the next few days..... I forgot to mention I started to become ill the day after the Wedding started with sore throat and developed in to a rotten head cold But many thanks to Chantal who said to go to the Pharmacy and get some Tiffy pills well they work like magic and so cheap too and they kept me going for the rest of the holiday.

The day before we were leaving we had a private charter booked with Phuket Sail Tours doing the Hong tour on the Sakai ... Was great to see Captn Mark again and he and the staff never let you down ... It was a very special day out with Captn Mark and crew and just the 4 of us ..... My friends are still talking about a truly wonderful day and Captn Mark this time made sure that this time we got into a hong that on my first trip with him I was unable to see due to my disability ...Let me tell you it was worth the effort and has only further confirmed the he is one of the best tour operators in Phuket who goes above and beyond to ensure that all his guests enjoy themselves.

Well the next morning we had a early flight back to Singapore and I had arranged for Daj to do the transfer we had informed the front desk the night before of our early checkout ...But let me say this the best laid plans ...... We tried ringing the front desk to arrange for our bags to go to the lobby but no answer so Kenny and I went down to the front desk and left the ladies in the room with the bags ...checkout was completed in 10 minutes ...well the financial side was ...Kenny and I sat down to wait for the ladies to come down.....after 30 minutes we checked with the front desk yes our bags were on the way down ..after 40 minutes we rang the ladies ..no sign of the bellboys ..and by this time Daj was there ..now the more you ask about things seems to make things happen slower we finally got our bags 1 hour later and this meant we were going to be late for our flight as the peak traffic had started.

Needless to say I did not tip the bellboys as they were both sitting there until the Security gaurd and Daj had spoken to them ..they were not happy but bad luck I dont reward bad service... Well Daj was a tad worried like us that we would not make our flight even though it was not his fault ..so after a few frantic phone calls Daj had a plan that we would go via the coast through Kamala etc to avoid the worst of the traffic ...Daj was brilliant and focused but most of all he was safe ..not taking risks ..and he got us there on time we were so happy not only did I give him a rather large tip I also gave him the two iceboxes so he could use them on his day tours to keep the drinks cold.

Summary:

We had a great time the Wedding was fantastic ..the trip was a little hectic but still enjoyable .... The most quirky thing was that we did not once go down Bangla Rd lol ....It was great to catch up with old friends and make new ones .... Jinda's is still best value for money shop with no hassling required. TheThara is still our favourite place to stay in Patong ...Tropical Gardens good value budget accomodation but dont think will stay again.

We will be back the next trip is already in the planning thanks for taking the time to read our JBR's

Cheers

Lozza and Mrs Lozza

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Hi Lozza

Thanks for sharing yet another brilliant JBR but no mention of the banana pancakes?? did you have any this time? LOL :-)

I agree about the bell boys if they are going to stand around like stale bottles of p**s then they don't deserve any tips

hope that 'little incident' didn't put your friend off going back to Phuket, not worth the hasell of an argument (or worse) for the sake of 15 bhat, but being new to it all he didn't understand, all well that end's well

sounds like you had the best time with the wedding and holiday combined,

all the best

Mossy :-)

ps: check out Khao Lak for a few days or so, as well as Thara of course for next year, it's lovely

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Crikey lozza your fingers must be getting numb from all of this typing. it's like the lord of the rings trilogy. Only kidding great JBR's.

Mental note to self: Make sure you pay for ther toilet.....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

G'day Mossy,

The sad thing is that we didn't have any Bannana pancakes ..when we were in Patong the couple of times we were near a cart we had just eaten and couldn't fit another thing in ..And in Kata unlike last year there wasn't a cart to be seen close to us :(

I dont think it will put our friends off Phuket maybe Kata but not Patong lol ...And yes must go to Khao Lak next year might even squeeze 2 trips to Phuket as Mrs Lozza has long service leave :)

Cheers

Lozza and Mrs Lozza

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

G'day Magpie ,

Lol sorry I tend to ramble a bit but I'm glad you enjoyed it ..Oh and Kenny didn't even use the toilet he was looking for somewhere to was the sand off his feet ..couldn't see anywhere so he walked straight out that was his main gripe ..if he had of used the facilities he would of paid..But in the end 15 baht well I would have paid to save the hassle.

There used to be a tap near the beach but it has dissappeared oh well..

Cheers

Lozza and Mrs Lozza

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Oh one thing I forgot this time we took some little coin purse that were in the shape of Australian native animals to give to different people we put in some baht andmade sure they all contained the same amount this was a hit with the female bar staff at some of our favourite places.

Cheers

Lozza and Mrs Lozza

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,560 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Hi

Again a lovely report.

We are also BIG fans of the Bounty bar, sitting there chatting with C&K and the gang, watching the world go by with a drink . . . heaven!!

Mark also gets our vote!

I like the little purse idea . . . I'll find something with a very british theme!!

Thanks so much for sharing, again.

Love to you and Mrs Lozza!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
161 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

What great JBR's loved all the detail. And what a gorgeous wedding, beautiful pics and an adorable couple, congrats once again.

Sydney
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Really enjoyed all your JBR,s

Cant wait to go agian in October

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Another fantastic report Lozza, I didnt want them to end haha. We had a huge night at the Bounty Bar with Chantal & Kevan a few nights ago and also had the Mussaman curry, was a hard walk back up that hill many hours later to Villa Royale hahaha.

I am so glad you finally went into the hongs, I can just imagine how happy you would have been.

Surely there are some more things you have remembered to write about, I dont want your reports to finish haha.

Hopefully see you both next year.

Cathy & Gary

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR part 3 May 13th to May 21st and yes very long :)

Great trip report Lozza...so nice to see you guys.....you both looked so happy! Fantastic! The girls at The Bounty say thank you for their candy and gifts.

Until next time,

Chantal.