We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

Northam, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

My husband is a little worried about the safety of our cash in hotel safes, I have reassured him but also said I would post on here to see if anyone has had any bad experiences? Thank you for any comments...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

There have been the very odd occasion when property has been taken from room safes, but overall in that respect its no worse than in any other country, and generally quite 'safe'.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

Nothing to worry about,only the Resort Manager can open the safe with the override combination,house cleaning do not have this access.

I'm currently in Patong and have used the safe everyday for 4.5 weeks with no problems,i even leave my Laptop out on the desk when i'm out.

House cleaners value their job more than your valuables.

Darkan, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

Have never yet had any problems and we go to Phuket every year for the past 12 years, we could just be lucky ,but my guess is most people are basically honest, I also find that by tipping the cleaning lady every day works wonders, not only does everything seem to stay safe, it also stays wonderfuly clean & neat, (well it works for us).

Cheers

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

Hi,

I have traveled to Thailand for close to 10 times now and have always used the room locker or the hotel locker(if there is not one in the room) to stash away all my valuables like forex, passport, mobiles etc. Never once had I been into a bad experience. Generally the electronic lockers are safe and nobody tries to access them. The hotel also has a reputation to take care of.

Regards

Prasanna

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

Interesting question. Over many trips to Thailand, I have never had a problem with anything going missing from my room. However, I read a review about a certain Karon Beach hotel that my family and I were booked to stay at (leaving next week) and a guest in May had an issue with items being stolen from the safe/room and then the hotel became most unhelpful by not lending assistance to the guest to enable them to complete the police reports ect for insurance purposes.

I have family members joining us on this trip that are travelling to the LOS for their first time and I wouldn't want them to have to go through what these guests were put through if there was an issue, irrespective of how unlikely a repeat performance may be.

So as a result, I cancelled the 4 rooms we had booked there and I have now changed resorts to the Movenpick.

Interestingly, I stayed at the Hansar in Koh Samui earlier this year and it's next door neighbour is the Anantara. Near the back of the Hansar was the staff exit for the Anantara. I watched in amazement how all their staff were subjected to a bag, body and bike search by security staff on leaving work. Surely a resort would only implement such measures if there was a genuine problem they were trying to stamp out. Thefts can and do happen in backpacker accommodation, guest houses, 2 star hotels and even in 5 star resorts.

My advice, if you are concerned about something particular, is to give that item to the hotel reception to put in the hotel safe. Have a photo of the item/s and make sure everything handed over to the hotel is fully documented and signed by the hotel representative and yourself. If something goes missing, the hotel will be fully liable, unlike items that may go missing from your room.

Northam, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

Thank you everyone for the replies.he's mainly concerned with cash in the room safe, not so much with actual things in the room. I'm sure it will be fine!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

I don't think it would be a good idea to leave cash in the safe. Why not just get money from the atm as you need it. There are atm's everywhere. If you were to loose the money your holiday would be spoiled.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

We take our spending money in the form of travellers checks and cash and allways leave it in the room safe along with the passports etc. We have travelled a fair bit around the world over the years and never experienced a theft anywhere. We just take normal precautions and use the room safe.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

Hi,

I always use room safes, no matter where in the world I am. I've never had a problem.

We accidentally locked ourselves out of our room safe when staying in Phuket, and called reception. It was a manager that came up with a folder that had special codes (I think) and opened it for us.

That saying, I would probably never travel with more than $3k cash, just in case. But for me, cash is the best option in Thailand.

Stelle

10. Re: Random qu - Plz don't laugh!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 14:15