We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton or Mövenpick?

Istanbul
Level Contributor
333 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton or Mövenpick?

Hi all,

I searched, looked all pictures, read all comments and then decided to stay either in Mövenpick or Hilton at Karon Beach in July. Is there anybody who knows both hotels. If yes, I need your recommendations to decide and book.

What I want at Karon Beach is to stay in a nice resort, have an easy acsess to Karon restaurants and pubs and swim at a nice beach.

Thank you in advance.

Baris

England
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton or Mövenpick?

Hi, I'd highly recommend the Movenpick, my favorite hotel in Phuket, its lovely, Ive not stayed at the Hilton but do know it, and people say its not a very Thai orientated hotel, but suppose some would say the Movenpick is not, but I fell there is bits about it that are. Have a great holiday.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton or Mövenpick?

The hilton should be cheaper, and feels more like a hotel.

The Mov feels like an estate with small villa enclaves.

The Mov has a wider variety of rooms that the Hilton does not have, including rooms with small pools at the balconies.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
333 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton or Mövenpick?

Dear Goonerbunny and Maic,

Thank very much you for your replies.

:)

Qld
Level Contributor
251 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton or Mövenpick?

Have stayed at the Hilton, the breaky is awesome as is the gym complete with steam room and sauna room. The views from some of the rooms are just beautiful. HOwever the rooms are tired looking and the beds are very hard, however that appears to be all over phuket. It is closer to Kata and a very easy walk. Left and you go into Kata and right and you go into Karon. The Movenpick does look lovely and is a bit closer to the beach, the Hilton does have huge grounds. If you are looking for a Thai styled resort then the Hilton is well the Hilton. We never ate there as we preferred to go into town. The pools were lovely and clean with lots of shade which we loved. I am sure you would be happy with either hotel, although the Hilton will be cheaper. The ocean is not able to be used for swimming during their low season though, so we made sure we could enjoy the ocean views at least. low season I think is March through to October. Good luck with you planning.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton or Mövenpick?

I was replying to your post using an ipad, which is a pain to do any form of long replies. Now I have a keyboard....

I have stayed in both, and I like both of them, for different reasons.

When I stayed at the Hilton, Maybe it was low season, maybe I was a Hilton Premium club member, maybe I was a returning guest, whatever the reason, I was upgraded to a deluxe plus sea view, I believe in the Lotus wing. The room had traditional thai decor, high up on the top floors, wooden floors, and stunning views of the sea. The room felt so comfortable, with such stunning views, it was difficult to leave the room.

The morning breakfasts were fantastic, and the Sunday buffet brunch even more so. There were pools throughout the hotel so its easy to get a swim.

Now to Movenpick..the grounds are equally large, and offers a large choice of accomodations, either in the main building, the different small villas scattered over the grounds, or even in private residences facing the beach.

I was offered a ground floor unit just off the main building, a short wall from the cafe for breakfast, but a hot 10min walk to the beach. The room decor was nothing special, it had tiled floors, a bed, a TV..etc. However, it had a plunge pool out the back and it was just the thing when you come back from the outside.

If you like a hotel feel, and you pick the ocena view rooms on a high floor, with nicely decorated rooms, then Hilton is great.

If you like a villa type of feel, individual units, maybe with a roof top plunge pool, then maybe the Move is better.

Take a look at the photos on TA. Its a bit hard to describe in words.

Personally I prefer the Hilton.

6. Re: Hilton or Mövenpick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 03:18