We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bang pae waterfall

Northam, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
bang pae waterfall

Is it worth going to see this waterfall and the gibbon rehab place with our driver? the next part of the question will probably get some laughs but is there many big bugs around the waterfall [jungley type environment]? i know theres plenty of insects everywhere in thailand but just wondering if theres anything more to be concerned about here :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bang pae waterfall

Hi Jordiness,

Yes, it's absolutely worth going to see the falls, did the trip in May with our driver Panya and both the falls and the Gibbon Rehab Project were fantastic. The falls aren't that big so it's an easy climb up, didn't see any insects, only a couple of lizards.

The Gibbon Rehab Project is a very worthwhile cause, they rely solely on generous donations as they receive no government funding at all. Such a pity that it's not better advertised that the practice of dragging a baby gibbon around for the tourists to have their photo taken with is illegal, if more people were aware of this fact then it would negate the need for projects such as this.

Regards,

Monica

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bang pae waterfall

Hi Monica, I wanted to take the family to the Gibbon re-hab centre but my teenage daughter reckons it will just make her cry. Should I drag her along anyway?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bang pae waterfall

We went to both in May and would not bother again. The only reason to go would be to give a donation the the gibbon project. Depending what you are used to the fall is pretty small.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bang pae waterfall

Hi magpie,

Not ashamed to say so; i cried, you'd have to be a pretty hard person not to even get a tear in the eye! It's very sad what these beautiful creatures go through to end up in the arms of one of the parasites that tote them around the bars and markets as photo opportunties. IMHO i think its well worth visiting and to make a donation.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bang pae waterfall

Definately worth a visit, you don't see too much of the gibbons, just a few of them they are in enclosures, all natural and well cared for, and some are higher up into the hills in rehab, lots of gibbon noises within the grounds lovely to hear them, :-))

but although it is sad to know what they have been through previously it is also good to know that they are now safe and being cared for and all donations will help them a lot, you can even sponsor one (or 2 if you like) lots of souveniers in the shop there too, all goes toward the care of the gibbons

the waterfalls are not the biggest but are very nice, it's about a 500mt walk up along a narrow, bit rocky and a gradual hilly climb through lots of bush and greenery, very pretty and no more bugs than we get here in the bush in australia, didn't see anything scary anyway haha

we enjoyed our visit there last year and maybe will go again this year, might get to sponsor one of them this year (already got an ellie in Chang Mai haha)

Northam, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bang pae waterfall

Thanks for all your thoughts...

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bang pae waterfall

check out the website

www.gibbonproject.org/

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bang pae waterfall

Is it the only waterfall in Phuket?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bang pae waterfall

Hi wendy

there is also Tonsai waterfall in the Khao Phara Thaeo national park, but none of the waterfalls in Phuket are massive, still worth a visit and very pretty depending on how much rainfall there has been, Sept/Oct would be best times

www.phuket.as/waterfall.php

we also saw some lovely one's in Khao Lak area if you are going up that way

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bang pae waterfall

Thanks. We will be there in november so will make time to go and visit one of these. How far is Khao Lak from Phuket? Day trip?