We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Hi My husband and I is considering taking my mother to Phuket for a holiday. She is at a age where she can't do a holiday which involved fast and full on tours.

We have not been to Phuket and was wondering if someone could give us some advice on what we can do with her that doesn't need so much energy. Also she has problems with her legs and we might have to consider a wheel chair to take her around, would this be a problem?

Any advice and suggestion on other destination would be appreciate.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Tricky question. Can she walk around ok, and get in and out of transport ? Does she swell up in the heat ? Is she the type that enjoys beach/pool holidays ? Does she really want to go ? What does her Doctor think ? Maybe get her some of those airline stockings for the flight.

I'd maybe avoid staying in Patong, as the walkways can get packed. Though people take kids in strollers down all the time, so a wheel chair should be ok. Apparently wheel chairs can be hired from pharmacies or the Hospital.

There are boat tours or trips that can take a wheel chair on board, eg Ferry type boats. But going to the toilet on a boat may be an issue if she can't walk or support herself, or go up or down stairs.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

I agree with gocdaworld, firstly be sure she in fact would want to go, you do have many things that at first no one would think about as example using toilet facilities when out on tours, getting on/off things and getting around. Of course she must check clear with doctor.

Depends like anyone how she would want to spend her time, and to be fair it is a holiday for 'all of you' so think / plan with care.

If she does need to use wheelchair then getting around is not going to be that easy, people manage it, but they could be a lot younger.

Another option would be Hua Hin which is on the coast south of Bangkok and in particular the Sofitel which is on the beach but also right in town, it is very 'Raffles' in style and relatively wheelchair friendly. There are also cultural and other attractions that can easily be accessed by wheelchair. Night market, arts market wheelchair friendly, eating areas etc all relatively easy.

You never know, she might prefer somewhere in Qld ?

First thing find out if she is interested, I bet her one concern as a Mother would be that she wants to be sure that you both can enjoy a holiday so have a good open and honest chat :)

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Phuket is not pedestrian friendly, let alone wheelchair friendly, so TBH, I would take mum elsewhere, maybe Singapore where there is some order.

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has given me some advice.

Answer to one of the question, she can walk around but after a while her legs get tired as most 85 yr old would be I suppose. That's why I thought the wheel chair can give her some relief from all the walking.

She has always been excluded in holiday plans from the family and we feel sorry for her so this time my husband and I decided we'll plan a holiday to suit her, after all if her kids don't take her who would. She's not getting younger.

We will for sure ask her if she would like to join us before we confirm anything. That is why I need some advice or any other suggestions.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

There is one other thing to think about and that is travel insurance. I am 76 and going to Phuket in sept. I am finding it hard to get insurance. I think at 85 insurance is a must. What ever you do I hope you have a good and safe holiday.

Hervey

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

34 degrees and 95% humidity. Don't know if I'd want to take that risk. my mum is a very healthy 87 year old but even she struggles with the very hot weather.

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Oh my, it's not looking good for my mother :( base on the advise I'm getting.

I will keep finding more info and do a little bit more research on this.

She prefers the hot weather compare to the winter/spring in Perth.

Thank you everyone, you've been a real help.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Hi

We took the Mother in Law last yr she is in her 80 and had a great time we only did the tours that she thought were better for her.We stay out at Bang Tao in the Laguna area which was a bit slower pace for her, it was her first overseas holiday and she made the most of it, we made sure we were not out in the worst part of the day for her (heat wise) I would consider taking her if she really wants to go.

mosiewigs

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

Hi Mosiewigs,

Thanks for the advice.

We are planning to book our accomodation at the Hilton Arcadia in Phuket due to the Hilton Honours points. I have no idea where is Bang Tao but it sounds nice and relaxing.

We will ask her and get the doctors advice and insurance which we never leave home on any vacation.

We are now also considering a stop over to Singapore on the way back.

Sorry did not include the info that were all originally from Singapore and have moved to Perth about 20 years ago, for mum more like 30 years. I guess it would be nice for her to spend sometime in the country she spend most of her younger days.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Phuket ok for my 85 yr old mother.

I think she'll be fine in Phuket and will probably do her good but the choice of the hotel is important, I have never been to the Hilton Arcadia so can't comment but hopefully someone here will be able to advise if it's suitable for your mother.