We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai language

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thai language

I'm off to Phuket in 2 weeks and I have been trying to learn a few phrases in Thai with the help of u-tube. Trouble is, I don't think I'm very good at it. Will the local thai people be offended if I make a mess of their language and will it be better if I just give it a miss and stick with english? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai language

I think the locals always appreciate our efforts, but you will find they laugh at you because the Thai lanugage is tonal and you probably won't get the tone right in which case you could be saying something completely different to what you think you are saying. The most useful phrases I found in the past are:

Sawadee Kha (or Kap for men) - Hello

Sabai dee My Kha - How are you

My Ow Kha - Not want thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai language

Yes....No need to worry but as cass says...They will appreciate the effort you have gone to,to try and blend just a little.....

The Thais love it when you ask them how to say things.....And they get a big kick when you can reply to them in Thai too....

But it's not really necessary if you can't get a grasp of the language before you arrive in Thailand....

So don't give it a full miss...You can always ask a Thai person in Thailand....!!

It really is fun....!!

Mentioned in this post
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai language

Definatetly try it, just got back from Thailand (our 2nd visit) and we took our son (3yo) they loved it that we are trying to learn there language & were teaching us as well as my son, give it a go its great fun & they really appreciate it, enjoy your trip :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai language

Hi there,

Try out this site, its packed full of useful information.

http://www.learningthai.com/

Cheers, Pete

California, Maryland
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai language

I don't think anyone will get offended instead they will appreciate your effort for trying to speak their language. I insist you to try it out with locals as this will help you in sharpening your language skills.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,767 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai language

Well chances are wont understand you, but like most places saying a few words in local language will always be welcomed. :)

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai language

how do you say "no, i don,t want a bloo#y suit" in indian?

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,767 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai language

Fk Off seems to work! :D

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thai language

Am amused at some comments. Funny how the F...... word seems to be known around the world.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,965 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thai language

Friend ordered a large Chang and they brought him this huge elephant! LOL