We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wisdom Teeth Extraction

After finding out it would cost $3000 to have 2 wisdom teeth extracted in Perth, my partner is thinking of gettin the procedure done in Phuket. Just looking for some advice on this. We have had a look into it and there are some very mixed reviews! Some clinic suggestions would be great! Along with some pros n cons....Thanks =)

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

It depends on what sort of extractions your dentist is suggesting. I had my wisdom teeth removed in hospital due to the difficulty, many years ago.

I had to have a tooth out a few weeks ago, and except for a sore mouth for a day or so, had no problems (though not a wisdom tooth) whereas my neighbour had an extraction, (also not a wisdom tooth), and had a lot of problems with a dry socket, requiring many trips back to the dentist for further treatment.

Every case is different.

So really, there is no right or wrong advice.

If i had the choice, i would have the extractions by my dentist at home, but in an emergency, would use a Phuket (or any overseas) dentist.

shazz

12 days till we arrive!!!!

Edited: 25 July 2011, 12:11
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

in my experience some dentists in Thailand are far superior to some in western countries, and it very much depends on the individual dentist. I'd get some recommendations from those who've used a dental surgery in Phuket, and get the name of a particular recommended dentist there. I'm currently undergoing a lot of dental work (in Bangkok) and have found two excellent dentists in a practice of a dozen or so, a few of whom I wouldn't let look in my mouth. Any practice will have good, indifferent and poor dentists, so personal recommendations are important. As mentioned, your extractions might be straightforward, but they might not be, so be prepared for that.

Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Yeah, no worries thanks. That's what I'm chasing, personal recommendations of dentists for both surgical and in the chair =) ta for the feedback

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Hi, we had dental treatment by Promjai Dental. I had fillings and a crown. Fantastic. My son had 2 wisdom teeth removed and his mate had impacted widsom teeth removed. Far far cheaper than Australia. No problems what so ever.The boys recovered extremely well and had no swelling and a tiny bit of discomfort. They had the wisdom teeth removed the day before we flew out. And they were still able to go out to Bnagla road that night!!!!

cheers

Viv

Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Thanks Viv =D exactly what I'm chasing...can you remember the name of the dentist the boys saw there?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

No I saw Dr Joy and she was great. Sorry the boys dont know who did their teeth but they were really happy with her. We all went to the dentist together. Seems to be a few dentists that work there. Cost for 2 wisdom teeth for my son was $170 with check up etc.

Viv

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

I've had good luck at Promjai too - with two different Doctors. Didn't have an extraction though.

They do mostly foreigners, so I think they are pretty tuned in to what you want.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

How long are you going to be in Thailand?

Having wisdom tooth removed when your are on your vacation? It could ruin the whole trip! If its other dental works i would agree,but something surgical i would think again. Actually it depends how impacted your tooth is. It could be a simple extraction or it could be a flap opening with bone reduction. Be prepared for some post treatment complications like swelling cheeks or extreme pain. Some dentists ive been to wouldnt let the patients fly within a week of surgery even.

Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

WebsterJohnson - Not really getting them on vacation, actually taking the trip for that reason only...might as well it will cost us the same and I can shop or get a whitening while he's getting that! But thanks for the advise...I've already had mine extracted so I am well aware of the aftermath....my partners a tough cookie =)

And Thanks alot Viv and Kingfisher, that feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Pros and cons there could be quite a few. I would be finding out first what procedure is involved for the extractions to come up to that price. Does it require a hospital stay? My wisdom teeth extractions cost around $400.