We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

This was our first time to Thailand and after 4 hectic days in Bangkok, we were looking forward to Phuket and we weren't disappointed. I read everything (well nearly everything) I could on TA before we left so I felt a little prepared. Lucky I did!

Day 1: First tip I used, ignore people offering 180 Baht transfers to your hotel and go straight to the metered taxi stand, we paid 600 Baht to get to Karon. We stayed at the Bamboo House and it was great value for money, nice staff, nice room and the big bonus.....Mini Mac in the room with free wifi. No elevators though but that was great (forced) exercise lol!

Day 2: Meant to go to Phi Phi island with Phuket Sail Tours but unfortunately the rain forced them to cancel, appreciated the fact that they weren't willing to sacrifice our safety and they refunded our deposits. Spent the rainy day walking around town, everything you need is here.......restaurants, bars, massages, 7/11's, currency exchange and of course the markets. Finally got to have my first Thai massage, no wonder people keep going back.....200 Baht for a 1 hour massage! Ate lunch and dinner at a different restaurant every day.....Heaven!

Day 3: Had a little sun in the morning so shot down to check out the beach and it was lovely, bit choppy but that doesn't mean you can't sit on a lounger and drink cocktails for 100 baht ($3)! Got picked up by the Elephant trekking place (sorry, can't remember the name) and did a 1 hour trek, I think a half hour would have been enough as I was freaking out a bit lol! Had the shuttle drop us off at Jungcelon for a bit of retail therapy and had an absolute ball! Enjoyed the beach markets and the friendly jesting over prices for things. Took me a while but you soon learn how it's done but as long as you're genuinely buying and are polite. Still can't believe I brought Vans for 1100 Baht ($33) Definitely prefer Patong over Bangkok for shopping! Ended the night with cocktails at the Sunset Bar and a tuk tuk ride home which was 300 baht......took us 2 trys to get that price.

Day 4: Left it too late to contact the drivers TA members recommended so negotiated with a driver outside our hotel to take us to Wat Chalong, the Bid Buddha, stops for shopping and then to the airport for our 4pm flight home. We got him for 5 hours for 1300 baht, he couldn't speak very good English but he was polite, knew where to take us and we managed to squeeze in all we had missed out because of all the rain.

Loved, loved, loved Phuket! So much so we will be back next year with the children......planning already!!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Thanks for your report and glad you loved Phuket.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,117 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Sounds like a great time despite the rain. Shame you missed out on the Phuket Sail tours trip. Thanks for sharing!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Great report. So exciting isn't it, I love reading Newbies reports as I just get so excited for you, and relive what it was like again for 1st time. So I thanks you.

You sure packed alot into it., by the sounds of it, you will be bypassing Bangkok next time and spending more time in Phuket.

6 weeks today till I return, cant wait

Michelle

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Happy to read you are going back & i bet your children are also exciited. Our fridge has many photos from our girls first trip to Phuket, all smiles.

Thanks for sharing. CJ

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Great JBR and nice to hear you'll be going back. The massage sounds very cheap, was that on the beach?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Thanks for the JBR, sounds like you had a great time & yep gotta love the massages lol

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Morning everyone,

Yes we will bypass Bangkok next time, not really child friendly or we were just in the wrong area. Pegasus - the massage wasn't on the beach, but there are some across the road from the beach. Also forgot to mention that you can buy alcohol and drink it while you get a massage!! I want to go back NOW lol!

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
601 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Loved your JBR crazymum.

I think I have only seen 1 person that has not fallen in love with Phuket. on H1

Think I should be tring somewhere else next year, but still keep coming back to looking at Phuket again,

Dont know about you but I never want to go to the same place twice, but this time I WANT TOO

Can I come too if you go back now,,,,,, lol xxx

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Hey Crazymum,

so Bangkok isnt very good in regards to children, hmmmm thats a problem lol will be there in November for approx 1 week with 2 x 3yo's & a 11 yo hmmm will be interesting lol but then 5 weeks in Phuket :) YAY lol

Vinny

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR - Karon, first time to Thailand

Loved reading your JBR, I have to agree Phuket certainly is addictive, we have been taking our children to Phuket for many years (the youngest was 5 & eldest 10), now my children still return, eldest who is now 21 will be there in October...again!!

So glad you enjoyed your holiday,

Many thanks for the read

Jozz :-)