We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel to please everyone!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel to please everyone!

I am looking for ideas of hotels for a stay next July, with my husband and our kids (8 & 6) and my parents.

We are price concious, and obviously we will need a family room and my parents will have a seperate room.

I'm looking for a hotel with the following:

- prefer close to/on beach

- prefer happy hour!

- need restaurants in walking distance (we like to eat outside hotel)

- need the hotel restaurant/s to be well priced (my parents prefer to eat in)

- a kids club might be nice but not essential.

Actually I guess the main thing I am lookinf for is a hotel with nice gardens and pools and a restaurant/s that are not over the top with their prices.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

I gather this is your first trip to Phuket and you have a nice little group there.

There are a lot of areas to stay at in Phuket and you have mentioned nothing about shopping. It may be that Karon and Kata would be better, rather than Patong which is fairly busy. How many nights will you be staying?

As you are going in low season the prices are very good and shouldn't be too much of a worry but what price range were you hoping for as there is a wide variance?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

My husband and I have stayed once before we had kids (Patong Merlin Hotel).

I am not sure if we want to be apart of the Patong action again this trip or not?! We will do a little shopping but are not really big shoppwers as it were...

We are also planning on Australian July school holidays so not sure if that has an impact? Probably 11 or 12 nights.

Prices about $AUD150-200 a night with breakie...the less it costs the sooner I can plan my nexct holiday lol!

Thanks...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

We have just come back from a holiday to Bali, and found that because the resort we stayed at had good prices in the bar and restaurants we hung out there relaxing more than we have in the past...I really resent over inflated hotel prices if you know what I mean. I know it doesn't bother some people...but it irks me!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

Hey woollysmum,

I gather your not interested in staying in Patong so maybe try Karon, Kata or Kamala.

We stay in Kamala, great little town, still close enough to patong if you want to go, plenty of shops, restaurants & bars.

We are staying at aquamarine in Kamala this time & got accom for $55 a night with breaky included, its a 4.5 star hotel & from what i have found out it's great & has a kids club, good luck.

Vinny

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

You could stay in two different places over your stay but there are some really good deals for staying 8 or more nights.

The Horizon Karon looks nice but is up a hill and away from the beach, it is supposed to have some rooms with a glimpse of the ocean. Your parents could always stay in the club rooms which is in a seperate building and restricted to adults. There are currently real good deals that include dinner but may not be available yet for July.

The Katatahni in Kata is very highly regarded and for good rooms it is in your price range. Actually there is heaps available in your range. The Katatahni may be expensive for drinks and food and is a bit of a walk to restaurants.

There is a place call the Aspasia which is between Karon and Kata and up a hill but you could get an apartment there for all of you (or a smaller room and 1 bedroom apartment) and they are very large.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

Thanks for your suggestions so far...I always feel a much bigger pressure then other people are travelling with you...I just want everything to be perfect!

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

Keep in mind that a lot of the beaches are not safe to swim in during the low season and it might rain a somewhat but with your length of stay you would be unlucky to have it raining a lot.

A friend loves the Patong Merlin as she has kids and finds it ideal, including the location as she can walk to everything but there are nicer places around. The Holiday Inn which is located just near it is positvely commented on here and again your parents could stay in the more upmarket Buksorn Wing.

The trip advisor hotel reviews are excellant and you usually get a good idea of the positives and negatives of each hotel.

Up North from Patong (about 20 mins drive) is the Laguna Resort which looks great. It has a lot of watersports and a Water Park. Apparently there are boats that travel around the Lagoon to take you to different Hotels.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

I am starting to think maybe the Holiday Inn or Patong Merlin, it is handy to be able to make a quick retreat to the hotel when the kids have had enough...

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

Centara in Karon have the centara Resort which is close to restaurants etc and short walk to the beach. More expensive but on the beach the Centara Grand resort.

Good value in Kata a short walk to the beach is Centara Kata Resort. Thats has family rooms / suites and also very good pools for the kids.

July quite possible beaches will be red-flagged so a place with good pools is best.

This year Centara Kata was about AU$ 150 for a family suite and $70-80 for a twin/double inc breakfast, has kids club and lots of facilities

Centara Karon Resort ( not the Grand on the beach ) for next July about AU$ 100 range

Horizon Karon Resort probably will be in the $90 range, swim up bar, kids club etc

So within your budget no worries.

10. Re: Hotel to please everyone!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 23:16