We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Money Exchange

Mount Gambier...
4 posts
Save Topic
Airport Money Exchange

We arrive in Phuket at around 11pm, 30th Sep. and would like to exchange money at airport instead of taking local currency with us. What I would like to know is, will the exchange booths be open this late at night?

thanks

jmac

melbourne
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Money Exchange

Great question jmac.

We also arrive on 30th Sept but I think a little earlier, maybe 8pm and we have booked a driver to take us to the hotel and will need to obviously pay him, but I cannot remember if there are ATMs in the airport or if money exchange booth would be open! If not at least I can organise some Bhat before we leave home.

So I would also like this info.

Cheers

Jules

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Money Exchange

It was recently reported here that the forex outlets close at Phuket airport at 8.30pm.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k…

ATM's won't be a problem.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 04:59
Brisbane
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Money Exchange

We leave for phuket on thursday, done a bit of research on money exchange. ATMs will charge you 150 Baht for each withdrawal, plus most banks in Oz will also charge you a fee equal to 3% of the amount withdrawn and an additional flat fee of $5 per transaction. It seems most money exchange places in Phuket do not charge a fee.

Remember to get smaller notes as well, because like in Oz taxi drivers or tuk tuk drivers never have change, to be able to give change if you hand over a 1000baht note for a 600 baht fare.

hope that helps

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Money Exchange

We also arrive on the 30/9 at around 11pm. All above info has helped.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Money Exchange

Jules

you wont have a problem with money exchange arriving at 8 pm, even if airport exchange is close when you get out you can just get driver to stop at exchange both on the way

Jmac depending how you plan to get from airport to desination, The limo hire place will change money as well, they would be open when you arrive.

Michelle

Mount Gambier...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Money Exchange

Jules,

We have a driver already booked but do you think we can still use the limo service for exchanging money?

jmac

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Money Exchange

Why don't you go to your local post office and order some baht I think the minimum order is $200Aud. Order before 2 pm and you can collect it the next day.

There is also no commission for exchange. You won't get the best rate but at least you will not have to worry about exchanging money for your transfers.

Hope this helps.

Nellie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Money Exchange

Why don't you go to your local post office and order some baht I think the minimum order is $200Aud. Order before 2 pm and you can collect it the next day.

There is also no commission for exchange. You won't get the best rate but at least you will not have to worry about exchanging money for your transfers.

Hope this helps.

Nellie

Mount Gambier...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Money Exchange

Nellie,

Yes that is the obvious and probably what we will do, just the exchange rate is less, penny pinching or not I would still like the best exchange I can get.

jmac

10. Re: Airport Money Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 13:18