We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbrella or poncho?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Umbrella or poncho?

We are travelling next week. From what I can see it is rain, rain and more rain. Whats best to keep with us, a poncho or umbrella...........or should we just stay at the pub when it rains lol. Thanks

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

Your hotel will have an umbrella for you, you will get wet anyway, but what does it matter? It's hot you will dry out, then get wet again, hardly ever will you be cold! Just enjoy, you will have a fantastic time!

Lindy.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

Take a small foldable umbrella with you and buy one of the cheap ponchos when you're there, the poncho's are better in the heavy rain, also take a pair of those rubber sandals,you know the ones backpackers wear coz if you wear leather sandals the rain will ruin them and they won't dry.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

Never thought of footwear........thanks for the tip.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

You will get umbrellas from hotel and ponchos easy to buy on the street, although forecasts says it rains it doesn't actually rain. 2/12 day stay last week of rain and the forecast said rain for 12/12!!!

phuket
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

The poncho is better than umbrella because now when it s rainning, you have also strong wind and I thind your umbrella will not like the strong wind,...

phuket
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

The poncho is better than umbrella because now when it s rainning, you have also strong wind and I thind your umbrella will not like the strong wind,...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

Ok thanks Delphine. With the rain and wind is it cool? Do you think a light cardigan might comer in handy?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

I just got a poncho from 7 -11 at 29 baht and umbrella at Big C 68 baht. I like the poncho better and I like the hood down when I'm drinking.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

Don't worry about either. The fresh rain on a hot day is one of the best things about Thailand!

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Umbrella or poncho?

I agree with LCarts_79 and take neither. If it's raining just have a drink somewhere and wait it out - or shop hop! Lou