We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halal Food in Phuket?

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Halal Food in Phuket?

Hello fellow TA's,

Me and my wife will be in Phuket for a five nights in November 2011. I know that food is relatively cheap and sold everywhere (according to the guide books).

However we are muslims and hence do not eat Pork and only eat Halal meat! Are there places that cater for Muslims?

Please help as I really want to try as much Thai food as possible and do not want to be hindered by not been able to try chicken/lamb and beef dishes!!

Any help. ideas, advice will be much appreciated!

Many Thanks

Javed

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,721 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

I have posted a link on your previous post. Phuket as a higher muslim population son it should be even more easier to find. In Patong there are loads of places that sell halal food.

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Hi Javed

Finding halal food especially Halal Thai food is no longer a hardship.

There are several I have personally tried and tested and love them all.

The biggest concentration is the area around the Patong Mosque which is near to Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa 0.2km, Deevana Patong Resort & Spa 0.5km, Club Andaman, Salathai Resort 0.7km, Patong Villa 0.8km, Jintana Patong Hotel 0.8km, Thara Patong Beach Resort 0.9km, Royal Phawadee Village 0.9km, Andaman Hill Hotel 0.9km.

My all-time favourite (and most of Singaporean & Malaysian Muslims's) is the iconic Kusuma Halal Thai Seafood. After Haad Patong Road – sidewalk restaurant opp Thai Commercial Bank. Its Hours: 4 pm to 1 am. Phone: +66 8 1078 8160. Walk along Rat-U-Thit Road, after Haad Patong Road, there is a row of sidewalk restaurants. Kusuma is somewhere in the middle. Scrumptious mouthwatering true no holds barred Thai seafood.

There are 2 stalls at the Jungceylon foodcourt selling home-cooked style food. And if you are near the beachfront, head towards Impiana, just across Thaweewong Road where Thara Patong is - look out for a beachfront foodcourt. There are 2 stalls which faces the open space/park selling halal Thai Seafood and western meals.

Failing everything else, there are many Middle East restaurants in Patong. 'The thing is most of these restaurants serve alcohol. So the choice is yours.

Don't forget trying out the legendary Thai Pancakes too!

2.5 weeks and still counting!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Restaurants which serve halal food will have "halal" written in Arabic in a green diamond symbol on their shop/cart signs. As suggested the north side of Patong will have more shops and food carts, but in fact, it is not difficult to find them just about everywhere. Even in the popular food courts at JungCeylon, Ocean Plaza and other places. Not to worry - no need to go hungry.

Other big strongholds for good food in the halal tradition are in Kamala and Bangtao.

Go. Eat!

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Hi Javed

Just a thought. Kusuma serves meat and chicken dishes and plenty of vegetables too -- just in case you are not into seafood.

Edited: 11 October 2011, 09:04
London
Level Contributor
91 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Many thanks everyone for your help and advice!

Much appreciated

Javed

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Look for this sign, though usually without the English - you are probably already familiar with it - halalthailand.com/images/stories/halal/Certi…

You'll see them most everywhere, though with more frequency on the north side of Patong.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 00:28
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Hi All,

I read this forum before I travelled to Thailand and totally forgot about the recommendations. It's so strange and coincidental, but I actually ended up coming across Kasuma (located in Patong Food Park) and it really was extremely tasty...so impressive that I ate there three out of the four days that I was in Patong! The green curry, red curry, pad thai and the BBQ seafood are highly recommended, and also all very cheap! The waitors are very friendly and even throw in complimentary fruit after the meal. To whoever eats there next, enjoy!!

Regards,

Z

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

i was there 9-12 Sept 2012 with my family.

We initially could not find Kusuma, although we were in the right spot because we were there in the afternoon and the stall only opens from 7pm (we asked someone there). Passed by the place at night, Kusuma is in the middle of row of street stalls all selling seafood. It is near Andaman Beach suites /IBIS hotel, diagonally opposite the big Novotel hotel.

We stayed at Patong this time. As you've said, it is easy to find halal food. Walk in any direction and you'll be able to spot a halal restaurant, usually Indian or Arabic ones, with Thai and western food on the menu. Road side push cart stalls usually appear in the evenings... halal burgers, kebabs, chocolate banana pancakes...

I like Cairo (small one, didn go to the bigger on), just opp Jungceylon,.

And we went to another one around the same area (can't remember the name). Both were good.

These places are not that cheap though (not too expensive either). 200-250 baht for most dishes, like fried rice etc. Western fare like steak, fish & chips fr 400baht onwards.. It is for tourists and you are eating in a proper restaurant (nice, aircon, clean, service) - hence the price.

halal Breakfast is tough - but we found a pretty good Muslim owned stall @ The Fresh Market (behind Jungceylon, opp Bangla Boxing Stadium.) 1st floor is the wet market and 2nd floor are the food stalls. 35 baht/dish - fried rice, pad thai, soup noodles etc.. This is what the locals normally pay for...

My favourite of favourites place is the floating restaurant off Coconut village. Its called Bang Mud (or Charoen Seafood). Abt 30mins in a van fr Patong. And a 3 min boat right. I went there in the evening abt 6pm, with the setting sun and mountain views and just being on the water... beautiful.. 4500 baht, for 10 persons - 2 fish, cockerels, chilli crab, tom yum seafood, fried sotong, fried prawns, mango salads, kang kong etc...

I've always enjoyed Phuket. Most people are nice and helpful. Muslims and halal food are plenty (and yummy).. To anyone reading this, enjoy your trip!

Regards,

Risdian

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Hi,

We just arrived and are staying at Cape Sienna in Kamala Beach. any good halal restaurants here?

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
103 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halal Food in Phuket?

Javed817 Hi Javed.

Do not worry.If we talk about Muslim food.in Phuket Many Restaurant for Halal food.on the island we hape musalim liveing 35% and We hape 52 Mosque.I recommend Contact Local People.you can contact Mr.Rak He is Muslim. He is local people.Everything if you Demand this Email.rakhkt@hotmail.com

Regards,

lucamalee