We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY Holiday to Phuket

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
DIY Holiday to Phuket

Hey everyone,

I have been to Phuket earlier this year in April/May and absolutely loved, so much that im planning to go back for Songkran Festival in April 2012 as i missed it this year! Wooooo!

This time however, im looking at booking everything myself rather then going through a travel agent!

Flights are pretty straight forward but just wondering if people can recommend what are some good & reliable websites to book accommodation through in Patong?

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

You can Also just contact hotels direct and see what price they can offer u

Good luck

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

We have used agoda, asiarooms & travelzoo.com

Had no problems with any of them, travelzoo.com is what we used this time & got fantastic deals, 24 rooms @ Aquamarine resort in Kamala for $50 a night normally $500.

Good luck planning, we always plan & book all our own accom & tours.

Vinny

Mentioned in this post
Kamala
Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
Pacifica, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

Try booking.com, zuji.com and compare prices quoted on those websites to the hotel websites to see which has the best pricing. Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

as above check out the hotels price direct or one of the many websites. I have used Res 24, Asia Web Direct

Michelle

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

We've gotten our best prices by dealing direct with the hotels themselves. Are returning for our third time the first time we had a travel agent organise but honestly we have gotten better deals with less pain dealing directly. Have used ago once - on a trip to Bali for one night accommodation when we had flight changes.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

We have used Agoda 4 times, with no issues - but last year we got a great deal with the Deevana Hotel direct (it included day trips, a couple of dinners and a trip to the dentist) when we arrived we got an automatic upgrade to a spa wing room for the entire trip. Which was quite a shock, considering we went in early December. Half the fun for me is trawling the internet for the best deal.

Mentioned in this post
Deevana Patong Resort & Spa
Deevana Patong Resort...
4,378 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

Yes I agree just book direct with hotel. Ask for a quote direct then compare to websites and ask them to better. I have had good experiences booking all over Asia booking direct to hotels. They often have 'business deals' with other booking websites eg. Asiawebdirect, hotels.com and will advise you if they can't better the rates and will often put other services in to match eg, airport pick up.

If using a booking site the issues are if you need to change dates etc. If you stick to your dates there should be no issue booking directly or through a site.

Lou

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

I also think to contact places you are interested in yourself.

Also, it's worth it to get the emails from this site/club, as they get some amazing deals sometimes. We stayed in KL at a top hotel for 1/3 of the normal price, a couple of years ago (and that tip came from TA as well :) )..

http://www.hotelclub.com/

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

We have booked everthing ourselves for our first trip to Thailand and it's saved us a lot of money. We booked some places direct and others through an agency. Good luck with everything!

We leave in 3 weeks and are getting excited.

Mentioned in this post
echuca
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DIY Holiday to Phuket

We are about to leave for our 3rd trip to Phuket and this trip is the first and last time I will use a travel agent. Don't really know why I went with a travel agent this time as I did all the research and they matched the prices I could get. They also booked us on flights at times we did not want and there has been countless phone calls to rectify problems. We have finally got the flights we wanted but it is much easier to book yourself. In the past I have booked directly with airlines and hotels ( and found them to be cheaper than booking through accommodation sites) and have not had a problem. 3 more sleeps and we will be in Phuket.

Tam

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand