We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket vs Bali

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket vs Bali

I have been to Bali 3 times now, but next May will be my first visit to Phuket. Can you all tell me the differences between holidaying in these two destinations, the good and bad, and which one you recommend the most?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket vs Bali

They are completely different. Bali is a large Hindu island in a huge muslim country; its volcanic and has a unique culture. Phuket is a smaller island with a mixed Buddhist/Muslim society with a very different culture. Both are excellent holiday destinations in very different ways. I wouldn't bother trying to compare them, just enjoy a great new destination!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket vs Bali

I prefer Phuket over Bali as it's a bigger area with Krabi and Khao Lak and the Phi Phi's,so you can move around a bit more whereas in Bali you tend to hang out in Kuta-Legian-Seminyak with a few days in Ubud.The food is much the same,all Asian cuisines in both and unlimited western foods.The shopping is much the same with all the knock off tshirts,bags,boardies etc.While i met some lovely Balinese people,i prefer Thai people,they just feel more genuine.Bali has better surf beaches and both have millions of dogs!

I'd compare Bali with Samui more than Phuket.I won't be going back to Bali,for me Thailand has more to offer with Chiang Mai to the north and the stunningly georgious Phang Na Bay to the south.

Aroi Maak Maak!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket vs Bali

much appreciated guys, what about hygiene and nightlife?

Oldenzaal, The...
Level Contributor
154 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket vs Bali

I wass in both...

About hygiene:

In Phuket you can eat everwhere np @all.

In Bali you can not eat all the streetfood, it is not save.

I found the nightlife better in Bali, but that is different for per person.

All in all i liked Bali a little more, only beaches in Thailand are much better.

I would not go to Phuket, to touristy and to bussy.

I liked Koh Samui, Koh Tao more, altough, beaches and limestones around phuket are nicer.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,429 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket vs Bali

I have been to both many times. It all depends what you like to do. I think the shopping is better in Thailand. The beaches are better as well. If you liked Bali then I'm sure you will like Thailand.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket vs Bali

Phuket is more of a beach resort and Bali is more cultural.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket vs Bali

I go to Bali a few times a year and phuket at Xmas -basically I describe patong as clean Bali - shopping and food similar, beaches safe in Phuket both have culture if you want it and both have adventure type tours

Frankston Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket vs Bali

Hi,

It all depends on what you are looking for on a holiday.

If you are looking for great beaches, safe food and plenty of things to do and places to go to very easily then in my opinion Thailand is a better option than Bali.........

We have been going to Bali on a regular basis for the last 30 years ( last there in march) and Thailand on an annual basis for the last 7 years. will be spending 20 nights in Phuket in 6 months time so it should be plain that I love both places.

Local people in both countries are terrific and very friendly, and both have their time share scammers and dubious???? tailors to avoid.

I have found that food off the street is generally better quality and more varied in Thailand and safer to eat..Major hotels in both countries have high standards of hygiene so you should have no problems there..........

There are more clubs and bars and ladies/ladyboys of the night in Phuket than Bali and you can pick and choose to your own tastes. But they are very friendly to everyone.

Shopping is great in both places for knockoffs/pirate DVD's etc.

DVD's are cheaper in Bali though.

To cut to the chase on what place I would recommend.................It would be Thailand even though it takes us 31/2 hours extra travel each way from Melbourne.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket vs Bali

Thanks so much everyone for your replies, I definitely can't wait to compare the two myself!

10. Re: Phuket vs Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:16