We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Property touts

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Property touts

I know the topic has come up before, but after having a bad run in with a particularly abusive property tout this morning, it's probably a good idea to remind future travellers that if anyone rides up to you on a scooter or stops you in the street to ask you if you speak English (they won't be locals), just keep on walking.

I expect a bit of pressure from locals who have to make a living and feed their families, but the constant barrage from young backpackers desperate to prolong their trips for a few more weeks is something I can't tolerate.

If everyone ignores these leeches, the sooner they'll be gone.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Property touts

Ask to see a work permit!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Property touts

Just pretend you don't speak English and keep walking.

Frankston Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Property touts

Hi,

I just take the instant scratchees off them and keep walking telling them that I will open them later.

The look on their faces is priceless as they don't know what to do...........

Just ignor them and keep on walking.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Property touts

Hi,

Agreed.. I can appreciate the fact that for a local the issue or reason for that work is far more necessary than discretionary.. but in the end, the way I deal with it is to simply ignore it.. just a "no thank you" and that's it.. I find that usually in short order, I'm forgotten and their attention focused on someone else who would be a potentially better prospect.

Travel Safe,

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Property touts

It'd be great if everyone would just keep walking. I wouldn't even recommend the "No, thank you." Here's how it went down for me this morning:

Girl - "Do you speak English?"

Me - "I'm not interested."

Her - "That's not what I asked you. I asked if you spoke English."

Me - "I know what you're trying to sell me."

Her - "You don't have to be rude about it." (It's hard not to be after the fourth tout that morning...)

Her boyfriend on the bike proceeded to mock my accent and used some anti-Australian insult that I wasn't familiar with. I kept walking.

These guys are scum. I've read they're trying to cut down on it, but they aren't trying hard enough.

Patong, Kata, Karon... they're everywhere down here. Naithon better be Euro-tout free or I ain't gonna be a happy camper....

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Property touts

This goes on an on and on..... and is a sad reflection on Phuket.

This was posted on Phuketwan 23rd Feb 2011

phuketwan.com/property/…

and this 24th Nov

phuketwan.com/property/…

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Property touts

the worst thing is steve,i guess they were english

,i wish i had met some during my trip ! i,m quite good at insults

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Property touts

Don't know what your upset about, just a few kids trying to make an honest buck.

seriously though, just keep walking..... it's a shame they are now insulting those that refuse to deal with them as per steve4750's comments. Hope that doesn't happen to my wife and I next June, thought we had em sussed afer 5 years.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Property touts

an "honest buck"?

Melb
Level Contributor
591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Property touts

Hit them with this, the Thai's have a saying 'mai pen rai ' (my pen rye) which means no worries/never mind. If their driver is Thai they'll just laugh.

You can also "Wo bu dong" which is Chinese for I don't understand which leaves them scratching their head.

enjoy

shway