We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excess luggage

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
199 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Excess luggage

Hi,

Have been reading that you can purchase excess luggage allowance before you go. I have just contacted Air Australia and they don't do this. Only pay at the count and it's $150 a Kg.

I have read some post parcels home. Is this easy to do and what sort of costing am I looking at?

Any advice will be a great help as this is our first visit to Thailand.

Thanks Kerrie

Edited: 15 December 2011, 22:45
Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excess luggage

Yes, the airlines have found a disappointing way to make money in this luggage game.

I never heard of one that high though.

I would ask the airline that you are flying with directly.

Here in Thailand, the budget airlines sometimes will offer different weight allowances when you purchase your ticket. If you go over, it can cost you more.

But, It seems that some do and some don't weigh your bags in.

Postal service in Thailand (internationally) is quite reliable from my experience.

Just use a regular Thai post office.

Good luck.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excess luggage

Hi,

sweetkerrie,

I'd ask for a confirmation of that price quote as it would be, if in fact $150 PER KILO, one of the THE highest in the industry for excess baggage rates..

What I *suspect* it is, is $150 per additional PIECE of baggage... but again, I'd call to confirm exactly what is the unit of measurement and costs..

The Thai post, as well as the other private carriers, UPD FedEx and DHL, which are all represented on the island, are also excellent options.. They will all be more expensive the the (public) Thai Post option, but will also be the fastest option for ultimate delivery,

Travel Safe,

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
199 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excess luggage

Sorry my mistake,

$15 per Kg.

We have an allowance of 88 kg, so hope that we don't go to much over this. If we do I'll a post a parcel home.

Thanks Kerrie

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excess luggage

I am assuming with 88kg there are 4 of you traveling? Usually you find not everyone has full amount, so just book in together. Also pack heavier stuff (jeans etc) in carry on.

We go as a group of girls and some of the girls always shop too much lol, but we tend to balance out between us. This year we sent a 10kg box home and I think it was close to $100, so unless you are super over it would be just as cheap to pay excess.

Michelle

5. Re: Excess luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2012, 10:18